Railroad Forums 

• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1469478  by JDC

From my experience, the Yellow line is either 7ks or a mix of 2 and 3k series. Don't recall any 6ks for awhile now.
 #1469935  by YOLO

No GR is exclusively 7Ks with only a handful of the legacy consists. 6Ks have been moved to OR/SV/BL
 #1470298  by JDC

Rode in car 7517 this week on Green line.
 #1470533  by Jeff Smith

I was in DC last week, connecting from Union Station to Dulles, Red to Silver. Had the old 3000 series stuff on Red, but a nice spanking new 7000 series on the Silver. Very nice indeed.
 #1476180  by JDC

Regarding the LCD screens in the 7000-series trains, I noticed this morning that in the lower right corner the promotional video about Metro has been replaced with a video commemorating the Capitals' win. I wonder if that has rolled out to all 7ks already or if it's a work in progress.
 #1476370  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
Regarding the LCD screens in the 7000-series trains, I noticed this morning that in the lower right corner the promotional video about Metro has been replaced with a video commemorating the Capitals' win. I wonder if that has rolled out to all 7ks already or if it's a work in progress.

The content on the 7K video displays are not "rolled out". The cars routinely connect to WMATA's WiFi network and automatically update themselves when changes are made to the content stored on the servers.

Good Things Happen To Those Who Ride Metro
 #1478701  by KTHW

justalurker66 wrote:So what is the math? Are you building four six car trains instead of three eight car trains? Or are you changing the capacity of the line by running four six car trains instead of two eight car trains?
Well at least the 6 car trains might start stopping in the center of the platform again. On a related note, I always thought WMATA could run 4 car 7000series mini trains during rush hour to augment service, while still keeping operating costs lower. No idea if thats possible with signal system or WMATA rules, but I would love some outside the box thinking to break up those awful 8min headways.
 #1478920  by srepetsk

STrRedWolf wrote:Interesting tidbit from the replies in Twitter:
@railtransitops: The noise issue was fixed with a redesign of the wheel angle in relation to the rails. ~RB
There's more in the report that came from. The 7ks were delivered with a wheel flange angle of 63 degrees; Metro's standard is 70. They've been truing them all to 70-degrees since delivery, so you may have already noticed the change.
 #1479261  by davinp

YOLO wrote:No GR is exclusively 7Ks with only a handful of the legacy consists. 6Ks have been moved to OR/SV/BL
It seems Metro put most of the 7000 series in MD on the Green & Red lines and dumped the old cars to Virginia on OR/SV/BL lines.
That's not fair Virginia gets stuck with more of the old cars. Also, why is Metro putting 8 car trains of old cars together? I thought only the 7000 series were supposed to be 8 cars, not the 6000 or 3000 series which I've been seeing lately.
As a result, I don't get a 7000 series very often