Railroad Forums 

• Volunteer at a Local Non Profit

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1477225  by flyingfox10

Hey everyone,

Many of our favorite tourist railroad non profits struggle to get help maintaining the track and equipment, as well as train operations. If you are interested in helping out at any operation regardless of how frequent you are able to attend any group would probably welcome the help.

Maintaining a railroad takes a lot of volunteers.
 #1477241  by Noel Weaver

In addition to being a big help at one of the non profits, it is also a good stepping stone for a railroad job down the road. The experience you get at your local tourist railroad or trolley museum can be very valuable when you go for employment in the industry whether it be a freight railroad, short line railroad or passenger railroad. Go for it and do it.
Noel Weaver
 #1478583  by CRail

Is this solicitation for any particular organization? I'm already active at 2 and it's easy to spread yourself thin (especially when you're 30+ years from retirement). In cases where many hands make light work, it's good when organizations can pool their manpower and help eachother out.
 #1478624  by elecuyer

I think "flyingfox" was just encouraging armchair railfans in general to find an organization, ANY organization, to get involved with. And if you don't find one that "fits", go ahead and try another.

My museum of choice, the WW&F in Alna Maine is always looking for new folks to come and help out. We also work cooperatively with many other organizations throughout New England. More and more pooling of resources is occurring when necessary.