Railroad Forums 

• Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

• Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);
Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1383755  by Jeff Smith

Was that on Facebook? Glad to hear there's still the occasional run to Metter.

And more good news: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/74187/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is separate from the Aspen project; Gateway is really becoming a rail hub for the Boro. After seeing business decline south of Jimps to Register and Metter, and a decline to some of the in-town Southern States locations, it's nice to see GAF now, and potentially Aspen and the "Greyhound" company coming in. What I find really interesting is the mention of the potential of this spur to "incidentally benefit" the remainder of the park. It will be interesting to see how this is setup.

Given how busy GAF is, wonder if they'd expand.

‘Project Greyhound’ promises 40 jobs
Gets no tax break, but drives road and rail extension

The Development Authority of Bulloch County plans to use preparations for a new industry bringing 40 jobs and a $12 million capital investment to the Gateway Industrial Park as tools to maintain rail service and extend a road that could serve other industries as well.
The new project will get a separate rail spur from the one that will serve Aspen.

For a basic spur, projected to cost about $210,000, the "Greyhound" company is committed to pay the first $100,000, and the community, meaning the county and Development Authority, the next $110,000. If the cost exceeds $210,000, the company would pay the rest.

However, the county is applying for a federal Employment Incentive Program, or EIP, grant of up to $500,000 through the Georgia Department Community Affairs. If the grant is awarded, the county would use it to build the railroad spur specifically for this project, although it might incidentally benefit the remainder of the industrial park, Thompson said.
"We have received, outside of this project altogether, some concern from local companies who use this rail company about it being perpetual here in our community. ...," he said. "This will add a lot of sustenance to our rail company, because they are a pretty high rail user, we're told."
 #1384452  by Jeff Smith

http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/74244/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The company is WL Plastics. They manufacture pressure pipe. Should be a good shipper.
 #1396129  by mterrell

Was back in the Boro today. The spur to Bulloch Fertilizer looks pretty rough, like it hasn't been used in quite some time. It's very overgrown over near El Sombrero on Fair Road.

Good to read about the Gateway business picking up.
 #1396216  by Jeff Smith

Bulloch Fertilizer actually had a car a couple weeks ago. I've got a shot of it somewhere after it had been pulled back up to Howard Lumber. Howard remains busy.

The Grinnell plant is being demolished: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/75401/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that's the one up by Maria Sorrell Road.
Grinnell plant

D.H. Griffin Companies, based out of Greensboro, North Carolina, has been contracted by the owner of the former Grinnell plant, located at 11021 Clito Road, to demolish the building. There is no news on any other development activity at this time for that location.
There was also some vandalism in the same area: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/75484/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KYLE SORRELL ROAD — About a tenth of a mile of railroad was reported damaged near Red Fern Plantation hunting preserve. There was damage to the railroad bed and to 168 railroad ties.
I imagine that must have impacted business. In any case, things look pretty good with new sidings by Gateway coming, even if some of the other business has slowed.
 #1399488  by Jeff Smith

It's been on busy week on the old Ogeechee. Earlier this week saw a 17-car consist pulled by GS' two GP's coming through town and heading up to Dover to interchange with NS. A couple of tanks from GAF, and a the rest were a string of hoppers from Southern States off 301.

The GP's have been running backside to backside so they can have the short hood forward whichever direction they're going for runarounds.

Today saw 2 more GAF tankers, a Potash hopper from Bulloch Fertilizer (second car they've had I believe in the recent past) and five centerbeams from Howard.

I'm lucky I now work on E Main St. right by the crossing, so I can hear them loud and clear. I'll have to explain the term "foamer" to my new coworkers LOL.
 #1400055  by mterrell

I indeed saw that Bulloch Fertilizer pickup recently, about a week ago. Hate to hear that about the vandalism. I saw downtown they have stacks of new ties, it looks like they are going to do some work on the track at some point.
 #1425625  by Jeff Smith

The GSR continues to be busy; with G&W acquiring the HoG, I wonder if they have any interest in this line, too, which is definitely picking up busy. One thing I heard today, which I wasn't aware of and haven't verified, is that the GSR line is still owned by NS, but leased out to GSR. The state rail map confirms it's not GA owned, at least.

A couple weeks ago, I saw the 701 alone parked down in Metter, presumably serving the scrap plant. I have seen some low open wagons going through town. I want to say there were probably about 6 or 7, but they didn't look particularly loaded. They could well have been hoppers for/from Southern States, which I have seen come in. It is construction season after all. But for now, Metter appears to still be active. Interesting to see the two GP's separated like that. I'm not sure why operationally they needed to do that.

Last week, I saw a 22-car consist coming right through town. About 6 center-beams, and a good number of open hoppers and tank cars (GAF), along with one covered hopper. I've noticed over the last year that the GSR will stash tank cars pretty much up and down the line for GAF, bringing them off of formerly disused sidings as needed rather than filling the entire siding south of GAF at Gateway.

Out of curiosity, over the weekend I took a ride out behind Great Dane to see what was going on with the new development that's been talked about. It looks like the plastics plant is open or just about to. The first time I went by, their spur was still empty, but over the weekend it had a covered hopper, so they're beginning to get service! It's quite a setup; a couple of really long sidings, with a switch installed for a third track (although nothing of the third track has been laid; this might be for another business?).

The plastics plant is here in the open field to the right (North) of Great Dane: https://goo.gl/maps/Nuz38FDg6Eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the road is now paved, and runs all the way past GAF from AJ Riggs to JC Cannady. The spur comes in north of the private residence/pool/lake, behind and below just a bit the Dollar General. You have to run past the spur south, then back into it (the spur curves off to the North and West).

Downtown's going to be getting busy...

Here's some pics of the new siding:
Attachments:
Yard Spur Lead
Yard Spur Lead
IMG_0113.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 11859 times
Crossing
Crossing
IMG_0111.JPG (725.5 KiB) Viewed 11859 times
Yard
Yard
IMG_0112.JPG (813.3 KiB) Viewed 11859 times
Hopper
Hopper
IMG_0110.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 11859 times
Plant
Plant
IMG_0108.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 11859 times
 #1430105  by Jeff Smith

The days of 20+ consists are here! I'm a dork, I'm so excited. Today's run back to Dover had 24 total cars (first time I've seen 20+). 3 center-beams (Howard's), 2 Hoppers (the new plastics plant), and the remaining 19 open hoppers from Southern States and tank cars from GAF. This consist could easily have been bigger. The new plastics plant had 13 some odd cars on their sidings yesterday, and I've seen Howard loads bigger.

Cannady Rd crossing continues to be a popular stashing point for cars/consists depending on work. Last night saw two hoppers/no power. I've also seen them stashed on the Yard lead.
 #1466291  by Jeff Smith

I've been remiss in posting about my local shortline. Just watched a 27-car consist crossing Main St. downtown, heading up to Dover. Pretty evenly balanced between loaded center beams from Howard, tankers from GAF, cars from the new plastics plant, and three potash cars. I've got a video I need to upload of a 30+ car consist I took last year.
 #1472124  by Jeff Smith

Hey, good to hear from you! It's been very steady; they also resumed serving the scrap plant in Metter; 4 or 5 cars at a time. Otherwise, they'd be defunct below Southern States (which is something else now). I'll try to find that video...
 #1477493  by ashley2771

glad to see all this activity going on... working in Hinesville, it's hard to get out to see things going on at the GASR (although my wife works right beside it)... did they use reclaimed track and ties for the sidings? looks like it...
 #1577517  by Jeff Smith

Very interesting. Are you referring to the long siding where they store (or stored) GAF tankers? Have they actually built anything? I did a Google search; nothing on the Bucyrus website, but I did find a job listing: https://jobsearcher.com/j/railcar-repai ... ga-bxPXbkk

Interesting that it's so far down the line as well. There's almost nothing out past Matthews Rd/Francis Scott Dr. There's an old natural gas siding and the demolished steel plant up around Maria Sorrell Rd, and plenty of room at the Dover Yard.

Still a lot of potential around Gateway for online business if they ever get to building. Last new business was the plastics place behind the trailer factory.

Metter lives in fear of their segment being abandoned.