Railroad Forums 

• How Rare Are the EMD SD60M Triclops Units?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1476537  by NellsChoo

Hi all

I managed to accidentally catch two ex-BN EMD SD60M "Triclops" units recently. I am seeing people refer to them as "rare", but for the life of me I can't find any real info about them online.

Does anyone know roughly how many of these still exist?
 #1477239  by atsf sp

There were 100 SD60Ms built for the BN railroad. Of these 14 are operated by PRLX still in cascade green and now sold to NS NS6807-6815. The remaining barring any wreck retirement (of which I cannot provide to you if any) are still on BNSF but renumbered to the 1400 series. So there are a good amount of triclops. A total of 463 SD60Ms were built with 100 of these being the BN triclops. Railfanning NS they would be considered rare since there are only 9 triclops of SD60Ms on a roster with 44 ex Con SD60MS and 46 SD60I.

Hope this helps a bit.
 #1477438  by JayBee

atsf sp wrote:There were 100 SD60Ms built for the BN railroad. Of these 14 are operated by PRLX still in cascade green and now sold to NS NS6807-6815. The remaining barring any wreck retirement (of which I cannot provide to you if any) are still on BNSF but renumbered to the 1400 series. So there are a good amount of triclops. A total of 463 SD60Ms were built with 100 of these being the BN triclops. Railfanning NS they would be considered rare since there are only 9 triclops of SD60Ms on a roster with 44 ex Con SD60MS and 46 SD60I.

Hope this helps a bit.
Ahh, no. the first 50 BN SD60M locomotives had the "Triclops" windshield arrangement, as did the 5 SD60Ms built for Soo Line, and the first 184 SD60Ms built for Union Pacific. The subsequent SD60Ms for both BN and UP had a two windshield cab like the later SD70 and SD75 models. Also interestingly the 4 SD60MAC test locomotives also had the "Triclops" windshield arrangement.
 #1477697  by D40LF

Also, two broad gauge Triclops SD60Ms were built for the Carajas Railway in Brazil. I believe they are still operable.

In general, almost all of the Triclops still exist, although some of UP's units have been stored out in the desert.
 #1509693  by Engineer Spike

All the BN SD60M were in the 9200 series. I ran them plenty of times in my tenure on BNSF. The 3 windshield version had no air conditioning, while the later ones did. After the merger that later ones often worked the high priority intermodal trains along with the red nosed Santa Fe -8,-9, and SD70Ms. The older ones were often on coal, grain, ore, and other heavy unit trains.