Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1476030  by daybeers

checkthedoorlight wrote:
Traingeek3629 wrote:
daybeers wrote:What's the deal with Berlin? @HartfordLine replied to my Tweet a while back saying both platforms will be operational, but that about 300 feet of the east side platform will be closed until the full opening of the station in the fall. Is this still true?
There have been almost no updates on Berlin at all. My guess is that they will finish a stub of each platform so trains can start stopping, but they will not finish the full length until fall.
High-level platform on Track 1 is installed and in-service. This platform is 500ft in length, and has bridge plate boxes installed approximately 100ft north and south of both ends of the platform.

High-level platform on Track 2 is installed. 220 feet of northern section of this platform is in-service with a bridge plate box installed approximately 100ft south of the northern end of platform. The southern 280 feet of this platform is out-of-service and has been blocked off with barricades and signs for pedestrian traffic. Trains must be spotted accordingly.

Wallingford & Meriden are also 500 foot High-level on Tracks 1&2.
Thanks for all that info! Will trains need to use the bridge plates?

I'm not surprised that the track won't be connected in Windsor in time, but September?! But you're right Backshophoss, CT is broke, especially in the transportation/infrastructure department. Also in that article: "Tickets cannot be purchased on board Amtrak-branded trains. Everhart said both Windsor and Windsor Locks will receive ticket kiosks by mid-July or so." WHAT?!?!?!? So what do the passengers boarding at Windsor or Windsor Locks do?!? Not use Amtrak trains?!? They're already getting the short end of the stick by getting much less service.

It's really frustrating to hear about the ADA compliance issue. I understand it, but it's ridiculous. By "portable restrooms" I assume they mean porta-potties?
 #1476037  by johnpbarlow

Some time mid 2019, limited CTrail service using Amtrak equipment will be extended to Greenfield, MA for up to 3 years on a trial basis:

https://www.masslive.com/business-news/ ... rom_s.html

And apparently Pan Am Southern's Conn River freight service will require MaDOT to install more sidings along between Springfield and Greenfield:
But Pollack said the state will have to build bypass tracks so passenger trains can pass the Pan Am Railways freight traffic that already uses the Knowledge Corridor tracks.
 #1476040  by lordsigma12345

daybeers wrote:Also in that article: "Tickets cannot be purchased on board Amtrak-branded trains. Everhart said both Windsor and Windsor Locks will receive ticket kiosks by mid-July or so." WHAT?!?!?!? So what do the passengers boarding at Windsor or Windsor Locks do?!? Not use Amtrak trains?!? They're already getting the short end of the stick by getting much less service.
Unfortunately a complicated process for Windsor Locks/Windsor. For CTrail-operated they buy on board without penalty (as I'm sure you already heard.) For Amtrak-operated they would buy the ticket online, through mobile app, or over the phone from Amtrak. They probably aren't doing any other arrangements because the Amtrak fares are identical except in cases of discounts.
 #1476079  by daybeers

lordsigma12345 wrote:
daybeers wrote:Also in that article: "Tickets cannot be purchased on board Amtrak-branded trains. Everhart said both Windsor and Windsor Locks will receive ticket kiosks by mid-July or so." WHAT?!?!?!? So what do the passengers boarding at Windsor or Windsor Locks do?!? Not use Amtrak trains?!? They're already getting the short end of the stick by getting much less service.
Unfortunately a complicated process for Windsor Locks/Windsor. For CTrail-operated they buy on board without penalty (as I'm sure you already heard.) For Amtrak-operated they would buy the ticket online, through mobile app, or over the phone from Amtrak. They probably aren't doing any other arrangements because the Amtrak fares are identical except in cases of discounts.
It's just really silly that they can't buy them on-board.
 #1476088  by jamesinclair

lordsigma12345 wrote:
Is there a cafe card on board? Why cant it sell tickets?

Amtrak California accepts cash fares on the trains.
 #1476105  by EuroStar

jamesinclair wrote: Is there a cafe card on board? Why cant it sell tickets?

Cafe car on a commuter train?!? These are basically the old shuttles to Springfield. I doubt they ever had anything even close to a cafe car. The Vermonter is likely the only exception.
 #1476108  by lordsigma12345

I think you can buy on board Amtrak but with a surcharge (which they won’t be waving for Windsor/Windsor Locks I’m assuming because you can buy with your smartphone unlike CTrail) As for cafe cars the Vermonter has one as do the through regional trains that terminate at Springfield instead of Boston. Shuttle trains do not. Vermonter doesn’t matter in this case because it isn’t participating.
 #1476110  by lordsigma12345

On another note, it appears at Springfield that CTrail departure notices are going to be made in the new station but Amtrak is still going to be using the old station for now. Why on earth Amtrak didn’t move in time for CTrail launch i can not understand. However obviously no one can control that but until Amtrak moves CTrail passengers should be directed to the old station and have Amtrak make the boarding announcements there. This setup is just going to be really confusing. May sound like nitpicking but people’s first impressions are important and this just appears disorganized and cobbled together when the new terminal has been open for a year. Making it as least confusing for people is important especially with the dual service provider model they are using for the service. Why Amtrak is still dragging their feet on moving is baffling. Was hoping they’d make the move since it appears they were making progress finishing the new area but I doubt a move is going to happen between now and Saturday.
 #1476114  by Traingeek3629

I'm excited about the Springfield-Greenfield program!
A major portion of ridership is going to be lost thanks to the decision by the idiots at CDOT to not have the bathrooms open. When people are sitting on a train for 90 minutes, you can't expect them to have to hold it for 2/3 of the journey.
 #1476119  by jamesinclair

EuroStar wrote:
jamesinclair wrote: Is there a cafe card on board? Why cant it sell tickets?

Cafe car on a commuter train?!? These are basically the old shuttles to Springfield. I doubt they ever had anything even close to a cafe car. The Vermonter is likely the only exception.
I didnt realize that. The Capitol Corridor between Sacramento and San Jose operates like a commuter train but has a cafe car. I am familiar with the NEC trains that terminate in Springfield, I didnt realize there was a separate cafe-free fleet
 #1476127  by Arlington

Mass will extend two CTrail trains per day in a pilot project costing $1m/yr. Service launches in June 2019, and the pilot will be authorized for 30 or 36 months (to Dec 2021 or Jun 2022)
Massachusetts has an agreement with Connecticut authorities and Amtrak to provide on a pilot basis two extended daily CTrail trains from Springfield with stops in Holyoke, Northampton and Greenfield.

One train will run in the morning and one later in the day -- both north and south -- on the Knowledge Corridor line paralleling the Connecticut River.