Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Road n' Rail Bus location ID?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1475483  by nyandw

Well this is LIRR Road 'n Rail Bus 372 Bound for Southampton November, 1964 (seems early Nov as we still have some leaves on trees!)
Here's the Road n' Rail page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/roadnr ... dnrail.htm

I think this is a tough one, unless someone lived near this location, perhaps?
Best,
 #1475489  by R36 Combine Coach

Double track section of the Montauk Branch, that narrows it. But beyond that, would take a lot of forensic examination of streetviews, given the number of crossings on the line (plus the change in time).
 #1475493  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Interesting Road N' Rail Bus photograph - with the vehicles visible and the Sinclair gas
station helping date this right in the middle of the 1960s. I think that judging by the color of the
foliage on the trees that the date month of October would make more sense - November would
have more color and leaves present on the ground - this picture shows little evidence of that.

The closest LIRR Montauk Branch schedules that I have is from the Fall of 1965 - they show that
LIRR Road N' Rail bus western terminal was Amityville - at some point between 1965 and 1967
the western terminal was moved east to Babylon. The timetable then only shows four Montauk
Branch stations that were directly served by buses: Amityville, Southampton, East Hampton and
Montauk. Other stops were served in the vicinity of stations or on main highways:
Amityville-RR Station
Shirley-William Floyd Parkway and NY 27A
Mastic-Washington Avenue and NY 27A
Center Moriches-Newins Street and NY 27A
East Moriches-Pine Street and NY 27A
Eastport-Moriches Boulevard and NY 27A
Speonk-Philips Avenue and NY 27
Westhampton-Oak Street and NY 27
Quogue-Jessup Avenue and NY 27
East Quogue-Central Avenue and NY 27
Hampton Bays-Ponquogue Avenue and NY 27A
Southampton-LIRR Station
Watermill-Station Road and NY 27
Bridgehampton-Corwith Road and NY 27
East Hampton-LIRR Station
Amagansett-Mankoma Lane and NY 27
Montauk-LIRR Station and Village (two stops)

The Fall 1965 schedule shows two weekday Road N' Rail bus round trips between Amityville and
Southampton - interestingly the only two LIRR stations that these runs directly served.

From that information I now think that this picture was taken at Amityville. There were no grade
crossings at or near the Southampton Station. Can you check and see using track maps if any of
the Amityville grade crossings had three tracks back then?

Hopefully this does help find the correct location where this picture was taken...MACTRAXX
 #1475564  by nyandw

Thanks LB..Good eye! :-) MAXTRAXX: LIRR 1966 map for Amityville shows the top track the siding for Suffolk Lumber Corp. Another Good eye! Photo back is labeled 11-1964
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Amityv ... yville.htm

I believe this is the rear of the lumber yard, View N, with boxcar at Amityville Feed?
 #1475646  by nyandw

Amityville-Copiague32.jpg
LB wrote:I thought the freight yard was just west of the station, in the area where this photo from your website shows (not east by the lumber yard).
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Amityv ... 201968.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're correct! :-) That would be Greene Ave. at County Line Rd. Here's the shot at John St. east of station, View E:
 #1475990  by MACTRAXX

Steve: The Montauk Branch Road N' Rail terminal change from Amityville to Babylon was effective
with the May 22, 1966 Summer LIRR timetable. I used a May 1970 timetable for revised bus stops.
I also decided to add the Main Line Road N' Rail route for extra information about this topic.

Were the western terminal locations of Amityville (later Babylon) and Huntington primarily due to
their being the closest main LIRR stations to the Huntington Coach Company bus yard facility?

I checked more LIRR timetables from that era and will add these bus stops for the Montauk route:
Babylon-LIRR Station (5/22/1966); Higbie Lane and NYS 27 (West Islip)
Bay Shore-Manatuck Boulevard and NYS 27
Patchogue-Medford Avenue and NYS 27
Hampton Bays-Good Ground Road and Ponquogue Avenue
Southampton College

The Riverhead-Greenport Road N' Rail bus route western terminal was the Huntington LIRR Station.
The bus stops on this route were located at:
Hauppauge-Veterans Memorial Highway at Suffolk County Center
Smith Haven-Smith Haven Mall (added after SH Mall opened on March 12, 1969)
Centereach-NYS 25 and Pleasant Avenue-Dawn Shopping Center
Selden-NYS 25 and Van Brunt Avenue-Selden Shoe Store
Coram-NYS 25&112-Coram Diner
Middle Island-NYS 25 and Rocky Point Road
Ridge-NYS 25 and Ridge Road
Riverhead-LIRR Station
Jamesport-NYS 25 and Main Street
Mattituck-NYS 25 and Love Lane
Cutchogue-NYS 25 and Depot Road-Shell Gas Station
Southold-NYS 25 and Youngs Avenue
Greenport-LIRR Station

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1475997  by MACTRAXX

nyandw wrote:MACTRAXX: Are you indicating that the photo can NOT be 1964, but 1966+? Thanks.
Steve: No. I primarily posted to indicate exactly when the western bus terminal was moved east
from Amityville to Babylon which was along with the May 22, 1966 timetable change. MACTRAXX
 #1475998  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:
nyandw wrote:MACTRAXX: Are you indicating that the photo can NOT be 1964, but 1966+? Thanks.
Steve: No. I primarily posted to indicate exactly when the western bus terminal was moved east
from Amityville to Babylon which was along with the May 22, 1966 timetable change. MACTRAXX
Great, thank you.. :-)
 #1476086  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

Another interesting observation about the Road N' Rail bus service was just how few LIRR stations
were directly served on both routes - four on the Montauk Branch which were Amityville/Babylon,
Southampton, East Hampton and Montauk. The central Island/North Fork route served Huntington,
Riverhead and Greenport for a total of seven stations with both bus and train service. MACTRAXX
 #1476139  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve:

Another interesting observation about the Road N' Rail bus service was just how few LIRR stations
were directly served on both routes - four on the Montauk Branch which were Amityville/Babylon,
Southampton, East Hampton and Montauk. The central Island/North Fork route served Huntington,
Riverhead and Greenport for a total of seven stations with both bus and train service. MACTRAXX
Yes, almost makes no sense when viewing the service from 50 years later!