Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1473662  by qboy

Its possible he was in the area and its still UP property.
 #1473664  by wilmette2008

True, but I thought as of the 1st of the year Metra now polices the stations and trains on the three UP lines. Unless that only applies to things like platforms and station buildings?
 #1474727  by Tadman

Perhaps this will lend a bit of perspective. About 25 years ago, there was an article about C&NW police in Trains Mag. There were 9 police officers for the entire C&NW system. Four of them patrolled the boones, four the passenger system (IE metra CNW N/NW/W), and one chief. The story was good, detailing how the two premier concerns were passenger safety and inner-city theft issues. That said, it was sobering to see how few cops were allocated to such a big railroad.

The take-away here is that it doesn't surprise one to see the local cops called in to provide support if UP or any class I has a similar police-to-mileage ratio. It's hard enough for a municipal department to cover their ground if they're well-staffed, let alone 9 guys cover and entire railroad. I don't think 9 guys could accurately cover Ogilvie Station, let alone the metro area.

Food for thought.
 #1474784  by justalurker66

I was going to make a comment about how many officers the Chicago police force had 25 years ago (assuming they too had grown) but they are at about the same number of sworn officers (12.224 now vs 12,885 in 1994). Nine officers as described was too small.
 #1474904  by wilmette2008

Tadman wrote:Perhaps this will lend a bit of perspective. About 25 years ago, there was an article about C&NW police in Trains Mag. There were 9 police officers for the entire C&NW system. Four of them patrolled the boones, four the passenger system (IE metra CNW N/NW/W), and one chief. The story was good, detailing how the two premier concerns were passenger safety and inner-city theft issues. That said, it was sobering to see how few cops were allocated to such a big railroad.

The take-away here is that it doesn't surprise one to see the local cops called in to provide support if UP or any class I has a similar police-to-mileage ratio. It's hard enough for a municipal department to cover their ground if they're well-staffed, let alone 9 guys cover and entire railroad. I don't think 9 guys could accurately cover Ogilvie Station, let alone the metro area.

Food for thought.
According to UP's website the head count is at about 175
 #1475135  by justalurker66

wilmette2008 wrote:Could any one picture if a RR Police department was featured on cops?
It would be interesting. Too many people think of RR Police as mall cop private security instead of as real police officers. Seeing a day in their lives may help clear up that impression.
 #1477203  by wilmette2008

Why would you say that people outside of the railroad/rail fan community don't know about the Railroad Police?
 #1477226  by justalurker66

wilmette2008 wrote:Why would you say that people outside of the railroad/rail fan community don't know about the Railroad Police?
Because it is true. We have enough people within the "fan" community who don't consider railroad police to be real police. It is easy to see them as private security level enforcers. If "fans" can make that mistake why not the general public?
 #1477284  by justalurker66

wilmette2008 wrote:Ok, but what how come the general public doesn't even know that the RR Police exist?
The grammar police exist. :)

Any education about RR police would help with both problems. People who do not know RR police exist as well as those who do not know that RR police are real police.
 #1481946  by wilmette2008

So today I heard on my scanner a kid on the way to Lollapolaza was playing on the tracks infront of the Wilmette Depot. He somehow got on the train and they called commuter control and had a Special Agent meet the train downtown and they would grab the kid. Wonder what would happen if the kid made a comment to a Metra Police officer and/or UP special agent about them not being real Police? Would he learn the hard way that yes they are?
 #1485989  by ST214

wilmette2008 wrote:Could any one picture if a RR Police department was featured on cops?
Well, it kinda happened. Was watching one episode where they were working with BNSF police on a drunk who got his stolen truck stuck on the Tracks. They even showed the officer’s name and listed his department correctly as BNSF Railway police.