Railroad Forums 

• WMATA 6000 Series Rail Car Legacy

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1473244  by Chris Brown

With the 6000 series cars going through so many changes past, present and future, I figured they might as well have their own thread. I don't think any other series of WMATA cars have gone through so many changes over such a long period of time.

Past and Present:
*Carpet Removal
*Stainless steel grab bars
*New seat testing
*Money Train Conversion
*Vinyl Wrapping
*LED interior lighting upgrade
*Seat Replacement (blue)

Future
*Automated Announcements
*Mid life overhaul?
 #1473571  by davinp

6182–6183 were removed from service, and have been converted into "money train" cars to replace the 1000-series Rohr cars that run the route. Here is a picture of one of the yellow cars parked in the railyard: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45146717@ ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, here is another 6000 series car out of service due to damage: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45146717@ ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and for some reason, Metro plans to dispose of two 6000 series cars as shown in this IFB: https://www.wmata.com/Business/procurem ... on_id=3743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are installing energy efficient LED lighting in the 6000-series cars, which reduces energy consumption and provides superior lightning quality for customers. Back 2 Good April Update Page 7: http://issuu.com/expressnightout/docs/e ... 0/60611924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Metro is planning to add automated announcements on all 6000-series railcars once refurbishment is complete, which will meet up with 7000-series standards.

The 6000 series are 12 years old, so a few years away from it's mid-life overhaul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingto ... ling_stock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1473859  by D40LF

Chris Brown wrote:With the 6000 series cars going through so many changes past, present and future, I figured they might as well have their own thread. I don't think any other series of WMATA cars have gone through so many changes over such a long period of time.

Future
*Automated Announcements
*Mid life overhaul?
Yes if they decide to overhaul them they will almost certainly receive automated announcements, and I suspect electronic interior displays as well.
davinp wrote:Also, here is another 6000 series car out of service due to damage: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45146717@" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... otostream/
Any idea what happened there?

As for the 2 they plan to dispose, that document also has a provision for the removal of two 7ks. This is probably just there to cover any premature retirements.
 #1487669  by davinp

In 2023, when Metro expects to receive the 8000 series cars, the 6000 series will reach mid-life.
At this time Metro will have to make a decision about what to with the 6000 series cars:
1) Do the mid-life overhaul as planned which will make them compatible with the 7000 series
2) Retire them early as they are doing with the 5000 series cars. They have the option of buying additional 8000 series cars
 #1487812  by RailVet

A couple of times I've seen cars roll through Falls Church on the Orange Line with orange doors and I think their numbers were 6075-6076. Does anyone know why their doors would be this color?
 #1487821  by STrRedWolf

RailVet wrote:A couple of times I've seen cars roll through Falls Church on the Orange Line with orange doors and I think their numbers were 6075-6076. Does anyone know why their doors would be this color?
The only thing I can think of is that they were progressively putting on or removing a skin wrap for advertising on the train itself.
 #1487853  by mtuandrew

STrRedWolf wrote:
RailVet wrote:A couple of times I've seen cars roll through Falls Church on the Orange Line with orange doors and I think their numbers were 6075-6076. Does anyone know why their doors would be this color?
The only thing I can think of is that they were progressively putting on or removing a skin wrap for advertising on the train itself.
Several cars have vinyl wrap advertisements on the doors only, but still have the aluminum/brown livery on the rest of the car. I don’t know who the ads were for, sorry.
 #1487875  by D40LF

davinp wrote:In 2023, when Metro expects to receive the 8000 series cars, the 6000 series will reach mid-life.
At this time Metro will have to make a decision about what to with the 6000 series cars:
1) Do the mid-life overhaul as planned which will make them compatible with the 7000 series
2) Retire them early as they are doing with the 5000 series cars. They have the option of buying additional 8000 series cars
I think Metro will want to replace the 6ks, but whether they can get the approval and funding to do so is another question.
mtuandrew wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:
Several cars have vinyl wrap advertisements on the doors only, but still have the aluminum/brown livery on the rest of the car. I don’t know who the ads were for, sorry.

I saw some back in late August promoting the "Bubly" sparkling water brand (They were orange, red and green). Perhaps there were others as well.
 #1488154  by mtuandrew

smallfire85 wrote:Don't know how detailed we're looking to get on changes, but I'd toss on the white on black fleet number decals and the large rooftop fleet number decals.
It isn’t exactly a 6000-series issue, that’s fleet-wide. Wiedefeld has a reason for the numbers though, asked and answered in another thread I don’t recall.
 #1488328  by STrRedWolf

YOLO wrote:WMATA's leadership consists of ex-MTA guys so they're going for the NYC style now. Hence the number decals changing
Which MTA, mind you? Remember, the head is ex-Maryland MTA -- I served under him for a while. Chatted with him on the bus to Penn Station the day before he left office.
 #1488359  by Sand Box John

"STrRedWolf"
Which MTA, mind you? Remember, the head is ex-Maryland MTA -- I served under him for a while. Chatted with him on the bus to Penn Station the day before he left office.

I believe he is referring to Joseph Leader.
 #1493782  by davinp

Lately, I've noticed allot more 6000 series cars without carpet.
Metro must be in the process of removing then, but some still have carpeting,
You might see one whole 6 car set without carpeting
I was on car 6177 this morning and the floor was shinny new.

"This is a carpetless older model 6000 series train"