Railroad Forums 

• one-way ticket expires the same day

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1470805  by Literalman

In NJ for a visit last week, I went to the Bradley Beach station to get my ticket for travel the next morning. Good thing I was paying attention, because the vending machine said the ticket was good till approximately midnight, so I canceled the purchase and bought a ticket the next day. A friend told me that NJT one-way tickets are now good for only one day. When did this start and why? (I've ridden NJT hundreds or thousands of times, having lived in NJ for a long time, but I now live in Virginia.)
 #1470820  by andrewjw

I ride NJT frequently and fairly recently and this policy was not in place as of just a few weeks ago.

Furthermore, from https://www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet ... lTicketsTo:
One-Way Tickets
One continuous trip between the stations on the ticket. One-way tickets are valid until used (no expiration) and are non-refundable.

I conclude that the vending machine was mistaken.
 #1471815  by Regardie

Literalman wrote:In NJ for a visit last week, I went to the Bradley Beach station to get my ticket for travel the next morning. Good thing I was paying attention, because the vending machine said the ticket was good till approximately midnight, so I canceled the purchase and bought a ticket the next day. A friend told me that NJT one-way tickets are now good for only one day. When did this start and why? (I've ridden NJT hundreds or thousands of times, having lived in NJ for a long time, but I now live in Virginia.)
My guess is that you were purchasing a ticket on a Friday night for Saturday travel and mistakenly selected a weekly instead of a single ride ticket. The weekly will expire at midnight or so, depending on the conductor.
 #1473106  by Launcher

It may have a valid explanation but the machines are misleading at best. At worst, it is a hint that policy shift may be forthcoming.

I tried to buy a round trip recently at my station and machine told me it had a validity period of a year. I double checked the printed schedule which indicates the policy is still to have tickets never expire. I hope they are not piloting a change in policy at the machines or considering phasing one in. Does anyone know when is the next scheduled fare increase? I still am skeptical of everything, operating on the memory of NJT rolling out the sudden elimination of the offpeak roundtrip discounts in 2010, that which resulted in a sudden 22% fare hike for occasional weekend passengers.
 #1473190  by andrewjw

I've bought tickets recently and have seen no indications of this expiration. I suspect Literalman misinterpreted some message in the payment process, or some such.
 #1473491  by Launcher

andrewjw wrote:I've bought tickets recently and have seen no indications of this expiration. I suspect Literalman misinterpreted some message in the payment process, or some such.
Check again next time. I believe that it's optional to select and view expiration details when purchasing the ticket. It does not pop up automatically.