Railroad Forums 

• #14 Orange Line Cars 1400-1551 (From Red/Orange Procurement discussion)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1469331  by typesix

BandA wrote:If they are not shipping the completed units by rail, it's a pretty short haul across the state, 2 1/2 hours or less probably (Mr Google says 1 1/2 hrs, but that seems optimistic).
Google time estimate is reasonable at speed limits, assuming no traffic jams.
 #1469388  by dieciduej

I saw a two car set, out on the test track this afternoon, just north of Assembly. Two things I noticed was still the lack of car numbers on the body and it was an A-B set of cars. A full cab was on the south end of the consist and just hostler controls on north end. I was on a Wellington bound train so I was too close to the any pics.

JoeD
 #1471116  by StefanW

Orange test set was parked right at the Sullivan platform at 9:45 this morning. Wow those doors are huge.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0wG7HOIlG1DAVH

IMG_0004.JPG
[/url]
 #1471170  by Arlington

RL platform height = 4'1"
OL platform height= 3'9"

These OLs look about 4" too high...consistent with being at RL height!
Last edited by CRail on Sat May 05, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1471341  by jonnhrr

That will be an issue for ADA compliance, unless they fix that in the production cars.
 #1471383  by Arlington

You say the floor was level with the platform...how about the door threshold ;-)
 #1471507  by CRail

Air bags can be inflated/deflated. Leveling valves adjust the air pressure in them as the weight of the car fluctuates. Railroad cars, subway cars, streetcars, and buses all do this. With modern equipment, it's probably possible to program the valves to maintain different levels. Chicago Transit Authority's 5000s adjust to match the platform height after the doors open, it's almost like a bus kneeling. I've always thought that was a really neat feature, perhaps these cars have it.
 #1474041  by Arlington

Somebody spotted the new OL train running at NS Northbound yesterday at 5pm. Is it being tested in revenue service?