Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak in Miami (Hialeah, Miami Intermodal Center/Airport)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1470623  by CLamb

SouthernRailway wrote:The railroad haters at CATO will find fault with everything. A too-short platform is still usable; plenty of commuter rail stations have the issue. Just board and disembark from the cars that are alongside the platform. Trains have walkways between cars. I’ll bet that the CATO Institute crowd at Reason magazine doesn’t know that.
That's not the only problem the article points out. Using the short platform the trains would stop on a grade crossing blocking a very busy road.
 #1470833  by ryanov

I agree that Hialeah is in the middle of nowhere, so far as where someone is probably going in Miami, but I think the concerns about safety in the area are perhaps a bit much. Florida appears to have a problem with refusing to let trains run anywhere that is a “populated area” but then complains that the train runs through undesirable areas. Where exactly should the train be then?

Also, I come to this thread somewhat late, but the idea that poor people don’t ride the MetroRail because they don’t have jobs is pretty absurd.
 #1470856  by Rockingham Racer

chrsjrcj wrote:The 28th street crossing was built because of the platform issue.
I'm not sure that's right, but if it is, why then is Amtrak not in any rush to move their trains to terminate there?
Could it be they are not interested in hiring a yard crew or two to tow these trains to/from Hialeah for servicing?
 #1470870  by Gilbert B Norman

Here are previous topics at which the possible relocation to Miami Intermodal is addressed:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=153621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing has come to my attention establishing a 'done deal', and so far as I am concerned, Amtrak should simply 'stay put'.
 #1470902  by Noel Weaver

Absolutly Amtrak should stay just where they are. They make good connections along the route between WPB and Hollywood with Tri-Rail which provides connections all over the place. Parking at the Amtrak station is adequate and their facilities are right there as well.
Noel Weaver
 #1470907  by dumpster.penguin

Shortening the train along the way would take an hour and inconvenience everyone; but it should be relatively simple and painless to shorten the trains entirely, and add an extra daily round-trip or two to make up the lost capacity and probably also lure new riders. Of course, the dining cars will be coming off in any case.
 #1470915  by andrewjw

Why do you think they should stay put? Their current facilities are much less nice than the new station and much less well-connected to both public transportation and the road network.

Also, why did you put "done deal" and "stay put" in quotes? Does this mean something unexpected or have some symbolism I'm not aware of?
 #1470924  by Alex M

If the consist is too long for the new terminal, did they not have a plan to split one or both of the silver trains at Jacksonville? This could result in Tampa getting a section that's coach only like the Palmetto and the Miami section or sections would theoretically fit.
 #1470932  by chrsjrcj

Rockingham Racer wrote:
chrsjrcj wrote:The 28th street crossing was built because of the platform issue.
I'm not sure that's right, but if it is, why then is Amtrak not in any rush to move their trains to terminate there?
Could it be they are not interested in hiring a yard crew or two to tow these trains to/from Hialeah for servicing?
The construction of the 28th street crossing occured after the MIC opened to Tri-Rail. I’ve taken Tri-Rail to the airport station before the MIC even broke ground and watched progress of the construction of the crossing after the MIC opened.

There is also a capacity issue between Hialeah Market and the MIC over the Miami Canal (which is served by a historic Seaboard drawbridge). SFRTA has begun the public outreach project to replace the drawbridge with a double track fixed bridge (the canal upstream in not navigable)
 #1470960  by Gilbert B Norman

A move from the existing station will not save any $$$, and in fact will cost. The FEC will be happy, eight less moves over the Iris X-ing.

Trains will have to be ready for release from the yards at least an hour earlier, and arriving trains not available to the yard until same later. If the FEC has traffic to move, add to that hour. So far as movements go over the X-ing, Tri Rail is "more or less" on time, Amtrak?????

Concerning passenger convenience, only passengers who wish to use Metrorail to/from final destination and those desiring to rent an auto would benefit. Those who are being picked up or dropped off by private vehicle will definitely be adversely affected; parking is free at the existing station; hardly so at MCS. Taxicabs may have to pay an access fee to MCS or the Airport; that of course means passengers will pay access fees; not so at the existing station.

The objective under the Anderson regime is clearly to operate the LD's as economically and efficiently as possible. I recognize and respect that many here hold making the product attractive should be first and foremost, but apparently Amtrak's record $1.9B "haul" appears to be more related to that Amtrak's FY17 deficit is probably, adjusted for inflation, the lowest ever recorded over the now past 47 years than to the quality of the LD product.

All told, there's "nothing in it" for Amtrak's operations; best advice, just stay put.
 #1470962  by Tadman

I don't see the advantage of free parking at the current station. It's in a crummy neighborhood, one I certainly wouldn't leave a car in over night. I wouldn't be thrilled about picking up someone there, either, after hours.

There are a number of documented cases where it cost more in terms of dollars and time to reroute a train, but ridership grew significantly because station was moved to a safe area. The South Shore at one time shared the South Bend station with Amtrak. Parking was "free" if you didn't mind losing a hubcap to the flea market scavengers. I grew up there and know better than to leave a car there. When electric service moved to the airport, it added a mile or two of running at 25mph or less around tight curves. But the station is safe and well-lit and ridership is much higher than it ever was, even before the last ten years of rail renaissance.

Also, Tri Rail is awful. Stevie Wonder could run a better commuter train. I tried connecting to Tri Rail once from FLL and it was problem after problem, from poorly labeled city bus connections off the terminal to hour-late and canceled trains... Good grief, I'd rather ride an ass downtown. I sure looked like one trying to board a train that might not have ever existed.