Railroad Forums 

• Special move (chargers)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1470217  by STrRedWolf

MelroseMatt wrote:Hello from SEPTA land. I only recently read about MARC's purchase of diesels to run on the electrified NEC, and I'm still trying to figure out what lead to this apparent non-sequiter. It sounds like MARC was tired of dealing with Amtrak for maintenance, and tired of unreliable catenary power. I'm curious if there was much pushback on environmental grounds? Or people are too busy trying to get to work to even notice the change? I wouldn't be surprised if most 'civialians' never ever realize the chargers don't have a pantograph raised.
Hello from an ex-MTA employee!

MARC's AEM-7 engines were out of warranty and Amtrak was refusing to do maintenance on them, plus the HHP-8's were not working all that well. MARC values operational flexibility, since they run on non-electrified CSX lines as well as the wired-up NEC. Since the SC-44's were cheaper than new electrics, and they work everywhere MARC operates, MARC got them.

Fast forward from purchase order to today. Bombardier was able to get their hands back on the HHP-8's and make significant improvements, which they're working on one engine at a time. I caught engine 4910 (the first to be rehabbed) today to work, and it hauled ass, no problems. The AEM-7's are now mothballed (as far as I have heard), since the SC-44's are replacing them.

Now, if the HHP-8's as a whole get better over time, those SC-44's may also end up replacing the under-powered MP36's instead...
 #1470243  by D40LF

STrRedWolf wrote:Fast forward from purchase order to today. Bombardier was able to get their hands back on the HHP-8's and make significant improvements, which they're working on one engine at a time. I caught engine 4910 (the first to be rehabbed) today to work, and it hauled ass, no problems. The AEM-7's are now mothballed (as far as I have heard), since the SC-44's are replacing them.

Now, if the HHP-8's as a whole get better over time, those SC-44's may also end up replacing the under-powered MP36's instead...
I thought the AEM-7s were all retired before the first Charger arrived. I know that one of them suffered a major mechanical failure in 2015 and never returned to service.

If anything is underpowered and in need of retirement (or a rebuild), its the GP39s. The MP36s have plenty of power, but they accelerate slowly.
 #1470360  by STrRedWolf

D40LF wrote: I thought the AEM-7s were all retired before the first Charger arrived. I know that one of them suffered a major mechanical failure in 2015 and never returned to service.

If anything is underpowered and in need of retirement (or a rebuild), its the GP39s. The MP36s have plenty of power, but they accelerate slowly.
They were, you're correct on that. The MP36's however top out at 100 mph under load, from what I've heard.
 #1470414  by avgeeky

Maybe with 3 single levels, but not with anything more. With 6 MARC 3s, they won't do more than 90. Add any more and they drop even further. Once had an 8 car set express from BWI to New Carrollton that never went above 81 and that was 2 MPs pushing. Marc 4s are only certified for 90 as well I believe. Don't think Camden or Brunswick has speed limits that high either
 #1470466  by STrRedWolf

avgeeky wrote:Maybe with 3 single levels, but not with anything more. With 6 MARC 3s, they won't do more than 90. Add any more and they drop even further. Once had an 8 car set express from BWI to New Carrollton that never went above 81 and that was 2 MPs pushing. Marc 4s are only certified for 90 as well I believe. Don't think Camden or Brunswick has speed limits that high either
Camden/Brunswick are 79 MPH max. I doubt any non-Amtrak rail is rated above that.
 #1470542  by scratchy

daybeers wrote:And because of that, I wish MARC had ordered more Chargers than they did.
I've noticed that the station redevelopment plan for two of the Brunswick line stations had images which showed DMU, in MARC colors.
I seem to recall that DMU/EMU were in long term plans, for increased service. Perhaps that's next phase of purchase, 10 years from now.
Especially if the CSX lines get sold off to someone else.
 #1470658  by NH2060

scratchy wrote:I've noticed that the station redevelopment plan for two of the Brunswick line stations had images which showed DMU, in MARC colors.
I seem to recall that DMU/EMU were in long term plans, for increased service. Perhaps that's next phase of purchase, 10 years from now.
Took a bit of digging, but I found it: http://montgomeryplanning.org/planning/ ... mmunities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those definitely look a lot like Queensland Rail EMUs with their pantographs taken off and some MARC paint applied :-P
 #1470676  by MCL1981

NH2060 wrote:
scratchy wrote:I've noticed that the station redevelopment plan for two of the Brunswick line stations had images which showed DMU, in MARC colors.
Took a bit of digging, but I found it: http://montgomeryplanning.org/planning/ ... mmunities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those definitely look a lot like Queensland Rail EMUs with their pantographs taken off and some MARC paint applied :-P
What a joke. Typical montgomery county. Rezone, collect payoffs from developers, bring in more people than the county and state roads can handle, watch unicorns roam the streets, makes excessive use of the words walk and bicycle as if anyone actually will. End result, too many people, not enough road, and a bankrupt county.
 #1470859  by scratchy

MCL1981 wrote:
NH2060 wrote:

What a joke. Typical montgomery county. Rezone, collect payoffs from developers, bring in more people than the county and state roads can handle, watch unicorns roam the streets, makes excessive use of the words walk and bicycle as if anyone actually will. End result, too many people, not enough road, and a bankrupt county.
You mean, because there won't be an increase in rail service to actually get them off the roads?
 #1470871  by MCL1981

No, that's not what I mean. Rail is not a magical solution to road traffic. The notion that if you add more trains to Washington DC, the roads will magically no longer be full is a drug induced fantasy.
 #1470873  by KTHW

Just saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBze4jhV1n0 with a couple of the Chargers operating by themselves or paired together. Seems like MARC is starting to let them run on their own a little. I will say that they seem to accelerate really well out of the station, and the train running through Riverdale towards the end really seems to be hauilin'. I know Camden Line tops out at 79mph, but at these Chargers are looking great right now!