Railroad Forums 

• Waterbury Branch

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1468225  by ANRP2

There was another derailment on 4/4/18, at the same place as the one 11/16. Apart from why this occurred, reports are that the train was 4 engines/80 cars, which I understand to be about 2x normal. anyone know what is the source/destination of the extra traffic?
 #1468268  by Backshophoss

Most of the ties are rotten,became splinters when the derailment happened,PAR should replace all the ties thru that town,but wont spend he needed
$$$$ to do that,just patch repair and let it rot again. :(
 #1468278  by ebtmikado

S.O.P. for the charlatans in Billerica.
If somebody else doesn't pay for it, no work gets done.
 #1468333  by ANRP2

Okay, but where are all those cars coming from/going to?

And additionally, under the defunct CT Rail Preservation and Improvement Program, PAR was granted (what year?) $2.5M to rehabilitate the line (total project ~$3.5M). Where was that money spent? Apparently, not in New Britain.

Thanks
 #1468338  by newpylong

I am sure it was just a heavy week traffic wise, or they missed the last trip. Any number of reasons.
 #1468774  by Larry

I visited the location yesterday of the derailment. Crews had placed in some ties and more ties were just dropped off. Track is in bad shape because it basically has little to no ballast and is even with the ground. You can put in all new ties you want but it needs a foundation desperately through here as this is a sharp curve through this area.
 #1468822  by Backshophoss

Believe at this point of time this trackage is isolated for now, Amtrak is doing trackwork in the location of the switch to PAR's branch
to Waterbury.
New Switch to be installed by Amtrak.