Railroad Forums 

• Trolley south of Olean

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1463789  by thebigham

Good trolley pic here:

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/news/st ... 7893f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
State & Union: Narrow-gauge railroad built during the oil boom

Earlier this week we wrote about Steve Bailey of Lippert Hollow Road and the abandoned railroad bed on property he owns above Two Mile Road. We asked railroad buffs for information and, well, railroad buffs responded.

Dave Poydock of Portville emailed: “It sounds to me like Mr. Bailey is talking about the Olean, Bradford & Warren Railroad.”

Indeed he was right, affirms Larry Kilmer Jr., an Olean native and Eldred, Pa., resident who is a railroad historian and author. Kilmer’s father, Larry Sr., wrote about the narrow-gauge Olean, Bradford & Warren in his book about the Bradford & Foster Brook Peg Leg Railroad.
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: edited for fair-use quote
 #1464064  by Otto Vondrak

Michael D. Storey wrote:What I understand to be the only surviving car from this line can be viewed at the New York Museum of Transportation. Gift, in 1980, of Lynn Heintz
If they do, it doesn't appear on their roster:

http://www.nymtmuseum.org/RailEquipment.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1466901  by thebigham

New book which I hear is quite good:

http://www.bradfordera.com/news/new-boo ... ff2ce.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New book chronicles history of trolley service in region
Nov 30, 2017

For the many rail history buffs in the Bradford area — and beyond — there is a new book out that you are going to want to get your hands on.

“Trolleys of the Oil Rich Enchanted Mountains” is the story of the Western New York & Pennsylvania Traction Company, its predecessors and successor, which represents the life’s work of author John Dean Wilkins, a native of this region who now lives in Gillette, N.J.

In an impressively produced self-published work, Wilkins lays out the early origins of horse-drawn trolley service in Bradford and the surrounding area, the electrification of lines and the eventual consolidation of trolley services by Wilson R. Page into what would be the Western New York & Pennsylvania Traction Company.

The hardcover book is more than 200 pages filled with more than 200 period photos from the later 1800s to the early 1900s, showing trolley cars and employees, lines and depot and maintenance buildings, from Bradford, to places like Allegany, Seneca Junction, Salamanca, Bolivar in New York and Ceres and Shingle House (yes, the Potter County town was known as “Shingle House” at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries).

Impressive foldout maps showing the different trolley service areas throughout the region are also included.

“Trolleys of the Oil Rich Enchanted Mountains” can be ordered from 4th Lake Publishing, 245 Deer Path, Gillette, N.J., 07933. The hardcover book is $54.95 plus shipping of $8.
 #1466918  by thebigham

Someone posted this map on Facebook. I did not know about the 2nd line up the Two Mile valley.
Attachments:
cropped.png
cropped.png (879.51 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
 #1467101  by pumpers

thebigham wrote:Someone posted this map on Facebook. I did not know about the 2nd line up the Two Mile valley.
Do you know what book it is from? Thanks, Jim S
 #1467107  by nydepot

Just read above for post at Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am

pumpers wrote:
thebigham wrote:Someone posted this map on Facebook. I did not know about the 2nd line up the Two Mile valley.
Do you know what book it is from? Thanks, Jim S
 #1497536  by thebigham

I read “Trolleys of the Oil Rich Enchanted Mountains” by John Dean Wilkins through inter-library loan. The Allegany, NY, library has it.
Attachments:
100_4563.JPG
100_4563.JPG (455.83 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
100_4564.JPG
100_4564.JPG (486.8 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
100_4568.JPG
100_4568.JPG (524.94 KiB) Viewed 2339 times