Railroad Forums 

• 3/29/48 - EAST CLAREMONT, NJ

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1467057  by shlustig

Located on the New York Division near National Jct., double-track line with MBS signal indications with the current of traffic and MBS signal indications and Train Orders against the current of traffic. At Phillips St. Interlocking, the LV crosses 4 tracks of the CNJ. NYC trains use both the CNJ and the LV via a connecting track.

NYC EXTRA 4504 EAST (14 cars + cabaoose) Dp'd. CNJ Yard A at about 5:20PM and was held at Phillips St. from 5:30PM to 7:30PM account switch failure.

CNJ EXTRA 677 WEST (22 cars + caboose) stopped at the LV westward home signal at about 5:50PM.

The NYC train received a "Restricting" signal and proceeded via the connection track to the LV westward track, but the crossover to the eastward track was not lined for the move and the NYC hit the CNJ at about 15 mph. The tower operator realized his error as the NYC engine passed and he sounded the alarm whistle.

The impact of the collision was so severe that the drawbar between the 4504 engine and tender broke and the tender frame and cistern telescoped the cab and killed the Engr., fireman, and Head Brakeman. 4 other crewmen reported injuries.
 #1467087  by amtrakhogger

From the damage incurred to the locomotive and the crew fatalities, it seems that they were going a lot faster than 15 mph. The NYC train only had 14 cars and I would think the damage would not as substantial as indicated.
 #1467124  by BR&P

I had the same thought before reading the second post. 15 mph is a hard hit but the damage resulting seems far worse than I would expect.