Railroad Forums 

• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1465955  by sd80mac

thebigham wrote:John Kucko pic

"Fading Fast: Explosives bring down huge part of 1875 rail trestle here at Letchworth SP this afternoon. 60 ton truss and 20 ton tower collapse into the gorge. They'll be removed immediately. All that remains is one tower. Heavy snow hampered efforts to get footage. There may be a GoPro angle I'll post later."

looking at that pic.... Can you image how much headache PRR would have if they are still running trains through here??? constantly battling with never stopping ice forming from the waterfall spray...
 #1466202  by MACTRAXX

C2629 wrote:Since the great majority of tresspassing on the bridge takes place in the warmer months, would it be advantages to have gates from say April first to December first ?
C2629 and Everyone:

With the new Portageville Bridge open and in service does anyone know how NS plans to keep
trespassers at bay once the weather gets warmer? Gates could be a good idea but could turn
out to be more problems then they are worth other then constantly having to guard the bridge.

My thought is to install surveillance cameras from an outside provider such as Virtual Railfan.
This way we can all "keep watch" and have a way to see and report trespassing when it occurs.
http://virtualrailfan.com/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only problem that I see here is that it seems that most VR cameras are on higher traffic rail
routes - I noted a post in this topic showing that an average of 12 NS trains use this route daily.
With the new bridge are more trains now using this route?

John Kucko has kept a really good record of the transformation to the new bridge and the
demolition of the old bridge - the drone shots especially enhance this topic. This is a classic
example of learning about NYS places outside my home area of Long Island and makes me
more want to visit Letchworth State Park on a future WNY road trip. :-D

MACTRAXX
 #1466651  by thebigham

The worker is standing in the location of the old bridge.

John Kucko pic and:

"Travelin' Man: Have tried to put a face on what has been going on at Letchworth SP the last couple years, introducing you to hard working folks who have helped forge history here. Chris Edwards is one of the very few people NOT from WNY who has worked tireless hours in helping the monumental cause. A 20 year iron worker who followed in his dad's and uncle's footsteps, Chris comes from Las Vegas--proudly representing Local 433 (along with Slade Boyd). He has served as Ironworker General Foreman, helping oversee the building of the new arch and completely overseeing the demolition of the iconic trestle. It's a labor of love that comes with serious sacrifice. Chris has a wife and two young kids, including one in school, they have rented an apartment in Orchard Park. Prior to coming to WNY to work for American Bridge on this undertaking, Chris worked and lived in Halifax on yet another AB project. He and his family go where the work takes them--not exactly sure where the next stop will be.

It's a side of this endeavor that is challenging beyond belief--yet he wouldn't have it any other way. "I've never been on a job as beautiful as this one," Chris admitted to me. With certain phases of this two and a half year project wrapping up, guys are leaving the job here--going to other projects. Some are working on the Peace Bridge, others on the Erie Canal bridges. A kinship has been formed linking these hard workers forever. "You're cut from a different cloth when you do this," admitted Chris. "It's a brotherhood, you create bonds with these guys." Chris has enjoyed his time here, made a lot of new friends and will soon welcome a new challenge. A supportive spouse and kids will go with him too. Here's hoping years from now they can return to WNY and enjoy a summer picnic in the park, looking up at what Chris Edwards had a hand in building. Well done!"
Attachments:
letchworth170.jpg
letchworth170.jpg (405.95 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
 #1469595  by scottychaos

C2629 wrote:“Parking lot for the bridge” ??? Why would they put in a parking lot for the bridge that no one is supposed to be on ?
For the view of the bridge..not to walk out on the bridge.
there was already a parking lot in that area, they are probbaly just going to restore the lot that was already there.
people will want to stop to look at the bridge and take photos of it, they cant have people parking on the side of the road. the lot is necessary.

Scot