Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1463828  by BVERailer

Lately, the last two F40PH-2CATs have been moving around the NJ Transit system, running equipment moves at night. They are still used, just for equipment moves/MOW. Where are they being stored? I would like to try and catch them, stored or moving.
 #1463839  by CNJGeep

BVERailer wrote:Lately, the last two F40PH-2CATs have been moving around the NJ Transit system, running equipment moves at night. They are still used, just for equipment moves/MOW. Where are they being stored? I would like to try and catch them, stored or moving.
The MMC
 #1463872  by BVERailer

Thanks. Is there any way to view the yard without trespassing, besides riding past it on train?
 #1463910  by CNJGeep

BVERailer wrote:Thanks. Is there any way to view the yard without trespassing, besides riding past it on train?
Not unless you have a telephoto lens and don't mind parking on the side of an extremely busy highway 150 feet up
 #1463915  by BVERailer

Nope, I'm good. hopefully the URHS will take one and put it to use on excursion services
 #1464054  by kilroy

Not much room left in Boonton for any more equipment without getting rid of something. And where are they going to run excursion? NJT?? No one would ride. If you have some special power like an E unit, then maybe but not an F40.
 #1464061  by blockline4180

There are rumors going around the last 2 remaining F40's may go back in service to be used as east end cab cars, but as always the sources can't be devolved. A few other geeps however are going to be going in service as normal passenger engines.
 #1464158  by NJT4149

blockline4180 wrote:There are rumors going around the last 2 remaining F40's may go back in service to be used as east end cab cars, but as always the sources can't be devolved. A few other geeps however are going to be going in service as normal passenger engines.
4145 will likely be the next Geep to be put back into service. Reportedly it is testing around the system.
 #1465015  by airman00

blockline4180 wrote:There are rumors going around the last 2 remaining F40's may go back in service to be used as east end cab cars, but as always the sources can't be devolved. A few other geeps however are going to be going in service as normal passenger engines.
I hope that IF they are put back into service they remain FULLY operational and not turned into cabbage cars...
 #1465425  by CNJGeep

airman00 wrote:I hope that IF they are put back into service they remain FULLY operational and not turned into cabbage cars...
What Steve is trying to say is that the F40s could see service as locomotives running in the place of a cab car. Many of the CNJs have been doing this over the last few months. The odds of them going back into passenger service as leaders are extremely slim. I don't think they have HEP anymore.
 #1465432  by blockline4180

CNJGeep wrote:
airman00 wrote:I hope that IF they are put back into service they remain FULLY operational and not turned into cabbage cars...
What Steve is trying to say is that the F40s could see service as locomotives running in the place of a cab car. Many of the CNJs have been doing this over the last few months. The odds of them going back into passenger service as leaders are extremely slim. I don't think they have HEP anymore.
That is exactly what I was saying, but I guess that depends on any other available geeps that could serve this purpose while the cabs go for PTC installation and testing? I wonder also if the practice of using geeps on the East end will end once the MARC cars are pressed into service, or will they just stay on the Newark Side like some have said?
 #1466311  by trainster78

The 4119 and 4120 have been becoming very popular on the NJCL MM-08 move recently, has been on just about every move for at least a few weeks now.
 #1470150  by liftedjeep

-Former NJT F40PH-2CAT #s 4114 & 4127 have been given new reporting marks (BUGX), and were spotted behind the power of CSX Q404 this morning though Ridgefield Park, NJ. Video of that move can be seen here, closer to the 19:00 mark of the video.

https://youtu.be/ofZaJuuVL9s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did a bit of research on BUGX (Bruggere and Monson),
and it looks like it's a privately owned outfit in California. Ex NJT F40PH-2CAT #4129 was sent there back in 2016.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4609236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(video & photo copyright of their respective owners)

Ben
 #1470187  by sullivan1985

liftedjeep wrote:I did a bit of research on BUGX (Bruggere and Monson),
and it looks like it's a privately owned outfit in California. Ex NJT F40PH-2CAT #4129 was sent there back in 2016.
That outfit is known as DieselMotive of Stockton, CA. They are a startup rebuilder that apparently claims they can rebuild 645-based passenger locomotives into Tier 4 compliant locomotives.

They purchased a handful of NJ Transit F40s in the last few years: 4114, 4121, 4122, 4127, 4129. All of which left NJ Transit property with BUGX reporting marks.

4113: Donated to FRA/DOT, Pueblo, CO. Repainted with a very attractive paint scheme and active.
4114: Sold to DieselMotive, Stockton, CA. Status unknown.
4115: Sold to Metro-North as MNCW 4911. Repainted and active.
4116: Sold to Metro-North as MNCW 4912. Repainted and active.

4117: Donated to FRA/DOT, Pueblo, CO. Status unknown.
4118: Sold to C&K Scrap Metals. Stored at MMC Yard.
4119: Active as non-revenue engine.
4120: Active as non-revenue engine.
4121: Sold to DieselMotive, Stockton, CA. Status unknown.
4122: Sold to DieselMotive, Stockton, CA. Status unknown.
4123: Sold to Metro-North as MNCW 4913. Repainted and active.
4124: Sold to Grand Canyon Railway as GCRX 4124. Repainted and active.
4125: Sold to Metro-North as MNCW 4914. Repainted and active.

4126: Sold to EDI Corporation. Status unknown.
4127: Sold to DieselMotive, Stockton, CA. Status unknown.
4128: Sold to Grand Canyon Railway as GCRX 4128. Repainted and active.
4129: Sold to DieselMotive, Stockton, CA. Status unknown.