Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1463130  by SecaucusJunction

Cuomo wants a station there for the shoppers. Would roads need to be reconfigured just to put in a station that does not require an extra lot or a lot of commuters trying to get there? The tracks are a stones throw from the shopping center. I remember when I was young, I'd wander back there to the tracks while my parents were shopping, so it would easily be walkable.

If you want to discourage the use of the station for commuters, then just have all AM peak service skip the station and as most shoppers would be traveling reverse peak anyway. Then again, that 7 hour late afternoon to late evening gap in eastbound service would probably be the biggest issue with ridership.
 #1463139  by njtmnrrbuff

Worst case scenario, if the new station doesn’t get built, then just increase the number of shuttle buses that run from the mall to Harriman Station. Yes, you can see the tracks from behind the eastern side of the mall. Discouraging the use of the station for commuters just for the sake of shoppers is not the answer.
 #1463371  by CentralValleyRail

SouthernRailway wrote:How much did Simon Properties (owner of Woodbury Common) contribute to Cuomo's campaign?

This should be determined and disclosed as part of this process.
I'm anti democrat but really? It's obvious as day that this needed to be done 20 years ago. $25K is chump change anyhow, that's not changing my lifestyle and especially not to someone like Cuomo.

While malls are closing, Woodbury Commons gross profit is up more now than ever. It is the most popular outlet mall in the USA. From an all around prospective (mall runs, commuter runs, weekend runs (with families dropping off loved ones at this location) Yes Harriman is close but it's 7-8 minutes each way further than this would be and it's serving a primary purpose already, given this will probably take 3 PLUS years double tracking will likely be under construction at that time, leading to hourly service to the commons.
 #1463414  by mtuandrew

CentralValleyRail wrote:I'm anti democrat but really? It's obvious as day that this needed to be done 20 years ago. $25K is chump change anyhow, that's not changing my lifestyle and especially not to someone like Cuomo.
Marco Rubio said something illuminating during the CNN Town Hall for Parkland, FL. When asked why he accepted >$3m from the NRA and if that made him their shill, he responded that he already believed in the right to own and carry assault-style weapons; the NRA was buying into HIS beliefs and not the other way around. I’m not sure how much either Rubio or Cuomo have shifted their beliefs over the years to fit their contributors, but there’s something to that statement.
 #1463422  by SecaucusJunction

Trying to get back on topic, and making the assumption that this actually does happen at some point, some thoughts.

The station would be built right in the middle of the passing siding. Trains could really arrive on any track, in any direction. I'd think an island platform would be ideal for this type of situation (if they do go ahead with high level platforms). Even the newest MTA plans for expansion keep this segment of track as a passing siding.

If they do want to turn this into a Park and Ride, could a parking lot be built on the opposite side of the tracks to gain access from the Thruway? I'd think people coming from the west on Route 17/6 would be more apt to go to Harriman.
 #1463449  by Roadgeek Adam

SecaucusJunction wrote:If they do want to turn this into a Park and Ride, could a parking lot be built on the opposite side of the tracks to gain access from the Thruway? I'd think people coming from the west on Route 17/6 would be more apt to go to Harriman.
Spacing from exit 16 would be way too close for another ramp.

As for the topic, this was more than a necessity, if there is such a thing. Woodbury Commons station will be a busy stop if built and I hope to see it get good use. It would also take some stress off Harriman.
 #1463466  by njtmnrrbuff

I think the parking lot at Harriman Station has expanded within the decade. I believe that 17/6 go over the PJL just south of Woodbury Commons. If Woodbury Commons Station ever gets built, it will be a busy station. Not just for park n riding to the city and the mall but Harriman State Park is right there. There are a lot of trails very close to the Pt. Jervis Line.
 #1463480  by Roadgeek Adam

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I think the parking lot at Harriman Station has expanded within the decade. I believe that 17/6 go over the PJL just south of Woodbury Commons. If Woodbury Commons Station ever gets built, it will be a busy station. Not just for park n riding to the city and the mall but Harriman State Park is right there. There are a lot of trails very close to the Pt. Jervis Line.
I'm still the supporter of a Southfields trail stop, but regardless, I agree with you.

Harriman may need to expanded, but one would hope Woodbury station would relieve some of the stress and reduce that need.
 #1464862  by Max Power

Seems to be some confusion as to who will pay for and use this proposed station:

http://www.recordonline.com/news/201803 ... in-station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Missing from Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s surprising declaration that the state is going to build a train
station at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets was this critical footnote:
The station that the outlet mecca envisions would be for the exclusive use of its customers and
employees.
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Please do not post an entire article verbatim here.
 #1465156  by DutchRailnut

since it would need to be ADA compliant, plus have lights plus probably heat , plus snow removal, maintenance etc the price tag would be a lot more than those that want the station are willing to spend .
 #1465363  by EuroStar

ADA compliance at a station on single track like this is not expensive. It is basically just a long concrete ramp. On double tracked lines ADA compliance is a killer due to the need for elevators. If they can get away with a three car long high platform, the costs should not be too bad. That does not make it cheap, but I doubt that the cost of the platform, shelter, lights and connecting walkways will exceed $3 million. That is still a lot of money though and it is not clear to me how many shoppers coming by train you actually need to justify such an expense.
 #1465374  by SecaucusJunction

This station is actually in the middle of a passing siding along the Tier, so technically the train could come on either track. I believe there are scheduled meets there every day. WIth the (hopeful) increase in service over the next 5 years or so, I'd assume that siding would be even more used.

Could there be an easier solution with an island platform and pedestrian crossing (Dover, NJ comes to mind) that would use a ramp instead of elevators?