Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1456116  by Train322

The double track will include the sections that kept double tracked prior to the track removal in 1991/1992.

From New Haven, approx 7 miles into North Haven were double, a few miles in Meriden, north end of Hartford to Parkville and from just north of Windsor to just south of Windsor Locks as well as the Mass section (probably 7-8 miles).

The new double track will be New Haven to Parkville in Hartford, just north of the Hartford station to just south of Windsor Locks and in Mass.
 #1456755  by lpetrich

The Hartford-Line site states that service will start in May of this year. Here are the stations:
  • New Haven
  • State Street - C *
  • North Haven - D
  • Wallingford - C *
  • Meriden - C *
  • Berlin - C *
  • Newington - D
  • West Hartford - D
  • Hartford
  • Windsor - D *
  • Windsor Locks - D *
  • Enfield - D
  • Springfield
C = construction, D = design, * = will be in service
New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield are already in service
 #1456765  by DutchRailnut

a lot might change due to indefinite postponement of just about all transportation projects in Ct. but keep on watching it might not be pretty.
 #1456772  by Patrick A.

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Yeaaaahhhhh....how do they figure Windsor & Windsor Locks will be in service???
I imagine it means they’ll use the existing stations in the interim until design and construction is comeplete.
 #1456773  by shadyjay

Windsor and Windsor Locks are already existing Amtrak stations, therefore they are grandfathered in, in regards to having low level single sided platforms. The majority of the new service is occurring between New Haven and Hartford, with some of those new trains extending north to Springfield, thus using Windsor and Windsor Locks. No, they don't have the fancy new "up and overs", new parking areas, and won't be fully handicapped accessible, but they are still functioning railroad passenger stops and have been all along, since the dawn of Amtrak, and prior.

Phase III involves the double-tracking from just south of Windsor Locks, north to Enfield (except the Conn River Bridge), plus the upgrading of Windsor and the relocation of Windsor Locks station back to downtown. That phase is currently on hold, indefinitely.
 #1456777  by lordsigma12345

Did anyone notice that on the new schedule PDF it shows a new Amtrak shuttle 451 departing SPG at 5:28 AM and connecting to Acela 2151 but on the webpage schedule it is absent and the existing 141 is the earliest train? Hopefully its an error on the webpage, a shuttle connecting to 2151 would be a great addition as it would allow someone to get down to New York before 9 AM and to Washington before noon. Here's hoping the PDF is right. The web schedule does show the reverse direction of this trip, shuttle 472 connecting to 2172.
 #1456779  by GirlOnTheTrain

Patrick A. wrote:I imagine it means they’ll use the existing stations in the interim until design and construction is complete.
Note to self: stop reading the forums under the influence of cold meds, ha. That concept was a little too far for my brain earlier this afternoon.
 #1456891  by Palmer5RR

Can anybody give me ballpark figures what has been spent on this operation? Including track work, engineering, environmental impact, etc. Has any equipment been bought and paid-for just for this route? (locomotives & passenger cars) What is the split between Federal Money and Connecticut Sate money so far?
 #1456963  by daybeers

Palmer5RR wrote:Can anybody give me ballpark figures what has been spent on this operation? Including track work, engineering, environmental impact, etc. Has any equipment been bought and paid-for just for this route? (locomotives & passenger cars) What is the split between Federal Money and Connecticut Sate money so far?
I don't know how accurate or recent the figures are on the website, but they are stated in the FAQ section of the NHHSRail Program website: http://nhhsrail.com/stay_informed/faqs.aspx
 #1456974  by Arlington

How is CTrail pronounced?
-See Tee Rail
-See Trail

Cedar Ale? ;-)
 #1456979  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Arlington wrote:How is CTrail pronounced?
-See Tee Rail
-See Trail

Cedar Ale? ;-)
As the linguistic gods mercifully set aside Connecticut as an oasis of pronunciational sanity from all the silly regional accents that surround it on all sides, it's pretty much exactly as spelled: "See Tee Rail". Similar to how the CTtransit bus system is "See Tee Transit".
 #1457027  by deathtopumpkins

Every time I see CTrail though I always have to stop myself from pronouncing it "See Trail".

It would have been a lot better if they had at least capitalized the R (CTRail). That would help immensely with my brain actually interpreting it as "CT Rail" not "C Trail".