Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1439974  by NeoArashi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VVU52Zg6TI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good documentary of the Canadian. It's cool too see a recent video (5 months ago) talking about this awesome train.
 #1454504  by Gilbert B Norman

Hafta admit, even if I'm not about "run up there" to do that "Coast to Coast" joyride reported in January 2018 TRAINS, I enjoyed reading the article.

Like the rights holder of the now yanked video leading off this topic, Kalmbach rigorously guards it's copyrighted material, so some around here will have to take my word it is worthwhile.

Now this guy who did his Canada train riding during the '60's, when it was "dirt cheap", has one question. The article would lead me to believe that the "Ocean" X's the St Lawrence at Saint Foy to Quebec - and then turns around to continue its run to Montreal. Does it really do that?
 #1454541  by marquisofmississauga

Gilbert B Norman wrote: ...

Now this guy who did his Canada train riding during the '60's, when it was "dirt cheap", has one question. The article would lead me to believe that the "Ocean" X's the St Lawrence at Saint Foy to Quebec - and then turns around to continue its run to Montreal. Does it really do that?
It crosses the St. Lawrence from Charny (the nearest station on the south shore, although few trains stop there) to Sainte-Foy. It does not turn around, but backs out to resume its trip to Halifax or Montreal. There may be occasions when the Ocean does this manoeuvre in reverse, but I'm not sure. There are two reasons given by VIA as to why the Ocean doesn't go all the way to Québec City. Firstly, there is the time that would be involved and also the platforms at Gare du palais are not long enough to handle a train as long as the Ocean.
 #1454544  by NS VIA FAN

CN’s Halifax-Montreal mainline is on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River. When the westbound Ocean arrives in Joffre Yard....it pulls forward through a wye to Charny then on across the Pont de Quebec (Quebec Bridge) to Sainte-Foy. Station work complete.....it then backs ups 3 1\2 miles to return to the mainline in Joffre.

The eastbound Ocean runs over to Sainte-Foy from West Jct. ......then backs up 4 miles to return to the mainline at West Jct.

Here’s some shots from last winter at Sainte-Foy.....then backing across the Quebec Bridge.....and taking the wye at Charny.
 #1454547  by Gilbert B Norman

Thanks Gents; back when I rode during '65 (MILW Skytop Obs, Roomette all the way CD$ 50) it simply stopped at Levis.

It's not for me to wonder why they now make that time consuming move. Lest we forget they think nothing of stopping out in the Styx at "0 dark 30" at both Saskatoon and Edmonton.