Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut PUC trip in April, 1926

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1451920  by Noel Weaver

This relates to the New Haven RR in 1926 (I think it was 1926 but the last digit in the year is not too readable). On April 5th they started out with a Connecticut PUC special that covered everything in Connecticut or about everything in Connecticut. Here is the schedule for that adventure which consumed 5 business days the first week and 5 more business days the second week:

April 5th Train backed from New Haven to Bridgeport, Bridgeport to Hawleyville, Hawleyville to Mass. State Line, Mass State line to Canaan, Canaan to New York State Line, New York State Line to Winsted where it tied up for the night.

April 6th Winsted to Derby, Derby to Hawleyville, Litchfield Branch, Hawleyville to Danbury where it tied up for the night.

April 7th Danbury to Mill Plain, Mill Plain to Waterbury, Waterbury to Hartford, Hartford to Windsor Locks, Suffield Branch, Windsor Lock to Springfield where it tied up for the night.

April 8th Springfield to East Hartford, East Hartford to Vernon, Rockville Branch, Vernon to Willimantic, Willimantic to East Thompson, East Thompson to Quinebaug, Quinebaug to Webster, Webster to Putnam where it tied up for the night.

April 9th Putnam to Groton, Groton to Westerly, Westerly to New Haven where it tied up for the night and the week end.

Apirl 12th New Haven to East Portchester (they used one word here), East Portchester to Stamford, New Canaan Branch, Stamford to South Norwalk, Wilson Point to Danbury, Ridgefield Branch, Danbury to Derby, Derby to New Haven via Devon where it tied up for the night.

April 13th New Haven to Willimantic, Colchester Branch, Willimantic to Onece, Onece to Hartford where it tied up for the night.

April 14th Hartford to Middletown, Middletown to Berlin and return, Middletown to Saybrook, Saybrook to New Haven where it tied up for the night.

April 15th New Haven to Hartford, Hartford to Teriffville, Teriffville Branch, Tariffville to Pine Meadow, Pine Meadow to Winsted where it tied up for the night.

April 16th Winsted to Farmington, Farmington to Mass. State Line, Mass. State Line to New Haven where it finally finished up.

Two lines that were not listed on this were the Dublin Street Branch in Waterbury which still ran to East Farms I believe at this time and the Watertown Branch which was still in use and lasted until the end of the New Haven Railroad and beyond. There were still some remnants around Meriden as well, Belle Dock in New Haven (yard trackage, maybe not),
The Old Main in Groton which was still active when I was firing in the 1960's and probably a little bit more that does not come to my mind right now.

What would we pay for a ticket to ride these lines today? I rode some of the but by no means all of them, Stories come with some of them too.

Hope you all find this one interesting.

Noel Weaver
 #1452296  by oamundsen

Noel, I always find whatever you post about the NYNH&H just wonderful! I do hope that you will create some sort of history of your life & times with this grand railroad, so much of the real stories about many grand creations of man are lost forever and those who appreciate and value history are left with bare bones statistics or sterile official records in achieves. Thank you for the years of pleasure your posts have given this old neighbor of the once mighty NYNH&H RR.
 #1452303  by Noel Weaver

oamundsen wrote:Noel, I always find whatever you post about the NYNH&H just wonderful! I do hope that you will create some sort of history of your life & times with this grand railroad, so much of the real stories about many grand creations of man are lost forever and those who appreciate and value history are left with bare bones statistics or sterile official records in achieves. Thank you for the years of pleasure your posts have given this old neighbor of the once mighty NYNH&H RR.
Thanks for your kind comments!!
Noel Weaver
 #1452323  by fender52

Noel,

As a retiree of another railroad, I want to add my thanks also for the comments and information that you provide to everyone here. That is a part of railroading that I fear that we will lose with the younger generation.

When I mention hooping up orders to an engineer or manual block rules to the current or new employees, they kind of just look at you like your crazy that these things were done. It's good to hear all this from other railroads on how things were done.

One question for you, I see that Pete McLaughlin ran on the Berkshire, was it mostly freight or passenger and did you run much there?

Thanks again.
 #1452383  by Noel Weaver

My friendship with Pete McLachlan goes back to 1956 or so. The Berkshire was his home territory while I was on the Shore Line which included South Norwalk - Danbury. My trips up the Berkshire was during the several months that I had the NY - Danbury job which included 138 and 147 the Pittsfield job onSunday. If Danbury did not have a fireman for 138 then I went through which happened from time to time. Going to Pittsfield could be a real adventure during that time, sort of like a ride in the country.
Noel Weaver
 #1454508  by Maybrook fan

I also want to say I look forward to reading anything posted by Mr. Weaver. Growing up along the Maybrook line and near the NYC Harlem line. I just love hearing of his experience's on the New Haven, MTA, PC and Conrail. I hope someday when he's up north I get the honor of meeting him. Thank you and Merry Christmas Noel Weaver.
 #1454518  by Noel Weaver

Maybrook fan wrote:I also want to say I look forward to reading anything posted by Mr. Weaver. Growing up along the Maybrook line and near the NYC Harlem line. I just love hearing of his experience's on the New Haven, MTA, PC and Conrail. I hope someday when he's up north I get the honor of meeting him. Thank you and Merry Christmas Noel Weaver.
While I won't say no or never another trip north at this stage in my life is not likely. I am probably in Florida to stay. Many thanks for your kind comments.
Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS
Noel Weaver
 #1456324  by Ridgefielder

Noel Weaver wrote: April 7th Danbury to Mill Plain, Mill Plain to Waterbury, Waterbury to Hartford, Hartford to Windsor Locks, Suffield Branch, Windsor Lock to Springfield where it tied up for the night.
Noel- Am I right in thinking that they ran Mill Plain to Waterbury via the old NY&NE main over Towantic Summit?
Noel Weaver wrote:The Old Main in Groton which was still active when I was firing in the 1960's and probably a little bit more that does not come to my mind right now.
Almost unbelievably the Old Main is still in service to this day. P&W uses it to access the Electric Boat shipyard on the Groton waterfront. I brought it up in the New England forum as one of the most unlikely survivals.

I'm going to echo everyone else on here and say thank you so much for sharing your reminiscences with us!
 #1456839  by Kilgore Trout

Ridgefielder wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote: April 7th Danbury to Mill Plain, Mill Plain to Waterbury, Waterbury to Hartford, Hartford to Windsor Locks, Suffield Branch, Windsor Lock to Springfield where it tied up for the night.
Noel- Am I right in thinking that they ran Mill Plain to Waterbury via the old NY&NE main over Towantic Summit?
That would be the only way to cover Towantic in that itinerary, plus there was still regular service in 1926, so seems like a safe assumption.