Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1446688  by GirlOnTheTrain

It happens. They're working on a new master tower that will consolidate tower control of both levels of West 4th Street, 34th Street on Sixth Avenue and 42nd Street on Eighth Avenue.
 #1446758  by Kurt

I found this 1974 Massimo Vignelli NYC Subway map in the mezzanine of 57 Street/6 Avenue on the F train this week. They had removed some advertisements, and it was still glued to the base. If you look closely, the Culver Shuttle is still posted, as it ended service in 1975
Attachments:
Trains-100917-2-Subway 57 st F2.jpg
Trains-100917-2-Subway 57 st F2.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 6618 times
 #1446896  by Allan

Kurt wrote:Allan,

If you go, it was in the mezzanine, inside the fare control area near the token booth. IIRC, it faced away from the turnstiles.

I was in the area today. It is on the southern half of the mezzanine,

After 43 years it still looks in decent shape in-spite of the tears around the bottom and the obvious fading of some of the colors.

I wonder how long it will stay before it is covered up or removed.

It was on the news last night (Channel 11) and on the Gothamist website.
 #1446928  by Kurt

Pretty cool that it made the news! When i was there, the plexiglass was a bit loose. The map is glued to the backing, so there is no way to take it down, without removing the board its on completely.
 #1518144  by Allan

For two weekends - August 16-19, 2019 and August 23-26, 2019, the M is being routed via the D from 34th St/6th Av to 59th St-Columbus Circle where it then becomes a local along Central Park West (like the C) to 145th St (lower Level - like the B).

This is partially due to provide extra service as the 1, 2, and 3 trains are not running along 7th Av due to switch replacement at 96th St/Broadway. It is also partially due to the trackwork being done on the 63rd St (F) line tracks so the M cannot go to 96th St/2nd Av as it would normally do on weekends (to provide extra service due to work affecting the Canarsie tube (L)).

I rode the M from 145th to 59th and you should have seen the looks on peoples faces as they boarded along CPW. You could tell they thought it was a C train by the confused looks when they saw the FIND signs and the end digital signs showing M. One guy was constantly comparing the subway map he downloaded on his cell phone with the FIND listing of stops - I said to him: "Don't try to make sense of it. This is a special service reroute because the 1,2,and 3 trains are not running". His reply: "That's a good idea".
 #1602439  by Allan

It has been a long time since anyone posted in this subject but the Q train is doing a 3 part service reroute this weekend (July 16/17, 2022) until August 2022.

The reason given is track and signal work

Downtown service will operate from 96 St/2 Av via regular route to Atlantic-Barclays on the D/N and then express on 4 Av to 59 St on the N and then non-stop on the Sea Beach line (N) to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

The return trip to 96 St will be via the West End line (D), making express stops to Atlantic-Barclays and then local via the R line to Canal St and then express on Broadway to 96 St.

A shuttle bus provides service between Atlantic-Barclays and Prospect Park.

Follow that?

On top of all that there is a Q shuttle between Prospect Park and Coney Island-Stillwell.
 #1602459  by STrRedWolf

Allan wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:08 pm It has been a long time since anyone posted in this subject but the Q train is doing a 3 part service reroute this weekend (July 16/17, 2022) until August 2022.

The reason given is track and signal work

Downtown service will operate from 96 St/2 Av via regular route to Atlantic-Barclays on the D/N and then express on 4 Av to 59 St on the N and then non-stop on the Sea Beach line (N) to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

The return trip to 96 St will be via the West End line (D), making express stops to Atlantic-Barclays and then local via the R line to Canal St and then express on Broadway to 96 St.

A shuttle bus provides service between Atlantic-Barclays and Prospect Park.

Follow that?

On top of all that there is a Q shuttle between Prospect Park and Coney Island-Stillwell.
Say whut?

Okay, let me get the track maps and see if I can follow.

Coney Island bound Q train will come into DeKalb Ave on A3. It will switch to F1 then F3, expresses to 59th Street, then hauls ass on E1/E4/E3 until it ends up in Coney Island.

The reverse "is perverse" here because E3 doesn't go all the way up back to 59th, so it takes D2 from Coney Island to D3-4 back up to 36th Street, and expressing back up to Atlantic Ave/Barclays Ctr on F4. It then switches to F2 and hits DelKalb Ave...

The X-A72 switch must be out of service for some reason, thus the routing onto the R (B2) to Canal Street. The odd reroute is because that's where they have spare capacity, and some of the track that could be use got razed up.

The question here now is... is the B still running?
 #1602491  by Allan

It is a weekend G.O. so the B would not be running. It does run as normal during weekdays.

I am wondering why they are doing multiple Q reroutes. I would think that it would have been easier to run a Q Shuttle between 96th St and 57/7, and add a few more TPH on the N to make up for the loss of service along Broadway. I don't think running Qs to/from Brooklyn like they are is providing effective service.

It looked like a railfan set that strange service set up.

But one never knows what lies behind some of these routings they come up with.
 #1602499  by STrRedWolf

Allan wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:00 am It is a weekend G.O. so the B would not be running. It does run as normal during weekdays.

I am wondering why they are doing multiple Q reroutes. I would think that it would have been easier to run a Q Shuttle between 96th St and 57/7, and add a few more TPH on the N to make up for the loss of service along Broadway. I don't think running Qs to/from Brooklyn like they are is providing effective service.

It looked like a railfan set that strange service set up.

But one never knows what lies behind some of these routings they come up with.
I would think a rail fan would come up with a better setup, given track layout and current state of the switches. I mean, I had to work out why they had this set up from a reverse-engineered track map... and also saw where there could be some improvement had track not been raised.
 #1602779  by Kilgore Trout

My guess is that because the Q shuttle train is running, there are three goals, in decreasing order of priority:
  1. Get passengers to crosstown buses which connect the D/N to the Q shuttle trains.
  2. Load-balance crowds away from the F, Franklin Shuttle, and the Q shuttle buses, in service of #1. Some passengers may not even need the Q shuttle train if they can be diverted to a local bus that goes close enough to their destination. (I recall the schlep to the Q shuttle buses when that was my local train - despite best efforts to load and go, it was never efficient, and traffic on Flatbush Avenue can be a killer.)
  3. Have passengers take the Q shuttle to Coney Island then get to/from there as fast as possible. I imagine the primary users of such a transfer would probably be south of Kings Highway as a transfer to a local bus would start to be time-competitive north of there.
 #1602948  by STrRedWolf

Kilgore Trout wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:29 pm My guess is that because the Q shuttle train is running, there are three goals, in decreasing order of priority:
  1. Get passengers to crosstown buses which connect the D/N to the Q shuttle trains.
  2. Load-balance crowds away from the F, Franklin Shuttle, and the Q shuttle buses, in service of #1. Some passengers may not even need the Q shuttle train if they can be diverted to a local bus that goes close enough to their destination. (I recall the schlep to the Q shuttle buses when that was my local train - despite best efforts to load and go, it was never efficient, and traffic on Flatbush Avenue can be a killer.)
  3. Have passengers take the Q shuttle to Coney Island then get to/from there as fast as possible. I imagine the primary users of such a transfer would probably be south of Kings Highway as a transfer to a local bus would start to be time-competitive north of there.
I wouldn't be too surprised if that's the end goal. The routing was weird until I grabbed the track map book and traced it down to find where the capacity to do it was.