Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1449749  by newpylong

I am surprised any of the engineers up there know where the higher notches are.

Wait until the railroad sees they can actually move a train a 100 miles on one crew on the MEC as well, miraculous!
 #1449750  by gokeefe

Same thought occurred to me as well.

I'm wondering if they will get a taste for this and keep going with the improved maintenance.
 #1449776  by KSmitty

Yep. RB-1 used to make the run with 1 crew and work Waterville. And they used to turn Bangor-Keag-Bangor with 1 crew. Leave in the morning, back in the evening.
 #1449800  by pnolette

I remember when SPBA-BASP would run from Rigby to Bangor turn on a wheel and back to Rigby in 12 hours with one crew..
 #1449841  by Cowford

POME/MEPO and predecessors NE-84/NE-87 used to run Rigby - Mechanicville with one crew. When was the last Bangor - Rigby through job abolished?
 #1449887  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Being able to traverse the MEC in one shift, however short-term and slapdash, seems like a crucial proof-of-concept Mellon has to achieve before he can peg a valuation on the non-PAS part of the company and execute his retirement plan. They might not need to behave like they're going to be doing it with any consistently, but if you're operating under the logic that D1 has to be sold in a package with D2 in order to recoup maximum value for Mellon they at least need to show it's not a hopelessly out-of-reach investment target to go Ayer-Rigby, Rigby-Bangor, PORU-RUPO, or other such high-leverage pairs on one crew.
 #1449913  by emyers

If rigby-bangor with one crew was a goal of theirs in the near future then I suspect they wouldnt have turned down the grant money for the waterville-hermon stretch, no?
 #1449926  by BostonUrbEx

With 12 hours to run, you only need to average about 12mph for Rigby to Northern Maine Jct. That of course means bulletins already faxed, train and power already hooked up and ready to go, and no stopping for work en route or silly power issues. So even with Waterville to No ME Jct being 10 mph, as long as everything else 25+ mph, it should be possible -- just not with the current management.