Railroad Forums 

• Silver Line Dulles WMATA Metrorail progress/pictures

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1446786  by RobertMCS

I took some pics recently so I thought I would share.
I do find it interesting that the Loudoun Gateway plan map doesn't have a south pavilion, but it appears that there is a part of the project that is indeed under construction in the trees on the south side of the Dulles Greenway.
Pedestrian Bridge Abutment at Ashburn Station
Pedestrian Bridge Abutment at Ashburn Station
IMG_1201.PNG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3998 times
Pedestrian Bridge Abutment at Innvovation Center Station
Pedestrian Bridge Abutment at Innvovation Center Station
IMG_1200.PNG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 3998 times
 #1447154  by Sand Box John

"RobertMCS"
I do find it interesting that the Loudoun Gateway plan map doesn't have a south pavilion, but it appears that there is a part of the project that is indeed under construction in the trees on the south side of the Dulles Greenway.

There is no south entrance pavilion because it would land within the Dulles Greenway entrance exit ramp complex, west of that is Horsepen and Broad Runs.

The construction on the south side outside the Greenway easement is for traction power tiebreaker station #11 adjacent to the N11 interlocking west of the Loudoun Gateway station.
 #1447172  by RobertMCS

Sand Box John wrote:The construction on the south side outside the Greenway easement is for traction power tiebreaker station #11 adjacent to the N11 interlocking west of the Loudoun Gateway station.
I know that, and they have not yet put the walls up for it. This is back further into the woods almost behind the tiebreaker station construction. There is a crane, excavators and what looks like foundation forms.
 #1449738  by YOLO

I've read that the silver line design had it going through West Falls Church station but they cut it out of the design in the early phases. Does anyone know how they were planning on routing through that area?
 #1449773  by JackRussell

YOLO wrote:I've read that the silver line design had it going through West Falls Church station but they cut it out of the design in the early phases. Does anyone know how they were planning on routing through that area?
I never thought that routing was ever seriously considered. You would need to tunnel beneath the railyard and some homes to get back into the median of the toll road.
 #1449823  by wrivlin

JackRussell wrote:
I never thought that routing was ever seriously considered. You would need to tunnel beneath the railyard and some homes to get back into the median of the toll road.
From what I recall, it's actually possible to go through West Falls Church via tracks in the Falls Church Yard.
 #1449893  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
I've read that the silver line design had it going through West Falls Church station but they cut it out of the design in the early phases. Does anyone know how they were planning on routing through that area?

If memory serves, I recall 3 option that were under consideration:
  • Dulles branch would junction with Orange line west of West Falls Church and follow VA-7 to Tysons Corner.
  • Dulles branch would junction with Orange line east of Capitol Beltway and follow VA I-495 to Tysons Corner.
  • Third leg of Y would would connect to Orange line west of West Falls Church and fly over yard and connect to existing branch. An elevated passageway would connect the existing mezzanine to the station platforms on the Y.
All options were eliminated to reduce costs.
 #1450128  by RailRide

I had been meaning to take my own photos of the SL's progress since last year when a convention I attend moved into the area from NJ. This past August I was attending the second iteration of this convention and got to see the additional progress. This is what Innovation Station looked like as I rode past on the evening of 8/27:
Innovation Sta panorama.jpg
And some closer shots as we drove by. Framed as best as I could since I didn't ask the driver to slow down or anything. Also reduced in size like the above, but not cropped:
Innovation Sta 08272017-2.jpg
Innovation Sta 08272017-3.jpg
(one more to come--three attachments is the max)
---PCJ
 #1450129  by RailRide

...Finishing off this short presentation is the station building and pedestrian walkway. Hopefully this convention stays put long enough for me to actually use this station to get there--then I can have a near-100% by-rail journey from the upper reaches of The Bronx down to the hotel, with maybe a 5-minute walk on both ends (if that much):
Innovation Sta 08272017-4.jpg
---PCJ
 #1450174  by daybeers

RailRide wrote:...Hopefully this convention stays put long enough for me to actually use this station to get there--then I can have a near-100% by-rail journey from the upper reaches of The Bronx down to the hotel, with maybe a 5-minute walk on both ends (if that much):
The Bronx? Isn't that about 130 miles north? :P
 #1451877  by RobertMCS

Here are some pics I snapped while traveling to visit my family during Thanksgiving:
Attachments:
The access ladders are up on the columns through the woods to Autopiolit Drive.
The access ladders are up on the columns through the woods to Autopiolit Drive.
EEF42E09-D3EC-49A6-9DB9-032B25249B28.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 3337 times
What I assume to be related work going on in the woods behind the Tie Braker Station at Loudoun Gateway
What I assume to be related work going on in the woods behind the Tie Braker Station at Loudoun Gateway
915EA0A2-1EE8-40AB-8D01-B56AC80BF297.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3337 times
Steel canopy framing is fully up over Loudoun Gateway Station. No panels have been put in yet
Steel canopy framing is fully up over Loudoun Gateway Station. No panels have been put in yet
EF1001F3-9B58-4DBC-A09A-F88772B078DA.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3337 times
 #1456139  by JackRussell

I went by today - a few things of note:
  • Ballast tamping machine is at the Herndon station.
  • Third rail has been installed closer to the airport.
  • While some of the switches have been installed, none of the signal lamps are present yet.
  • No sign of the intrusion protection system as of yet.
Didn't stop to try and take pictures. If the weather warms up some, I would consider that. Just from the access road, you don't get a very good view of the roadbed.
 #1457439  by RobertMCS

Here are some recent observations:
• It appears that the tracks have been completed in between Loudoun Gateway Station & Loudoun County Parkway, they are currrently installing between Loudoun County Parkway & Ashburn Station.
• I made a mistake about the work being done down behind TBS #11 at Loudoun Gateway. It is actually part of a sewer main installation project for Loudoun Water called the Broad Run Interceptor.
• There are girders being installed for some type of bridge over the Dulles Greenway near Ashburn Station
• The pedestrian bridge has been installed at Loudoun Gateway Station
 #1458928  by JackRussell

A couple of updates.

The DCAC met last November, but I didn't notice until now. Meeting handout (with pictures) here:

http://www.dullestollroad.com/sites/def ... -29-17.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overall they say package A is 74% complete, and package B is 61% complete.

I went by the Airport station - a couple of observations. The roof canopy is essentially done, and they have installed some of the amenities (shelters, benches, etc). The DCAC pictures show rail installed when the pictures were taken last Oct (you can't really see the rail from the top of the parking garage).

There are signs indicating that the walkway from the garage to the airport will reopen this summer sometime. The DCAC pictures show re-installation of the moving walkway in the tunnel.

A few pictures. Since Photobucket is no longer usable, I have to host them myself unfortunately. But it also means that these aren't thumbnails. I need to figure out how to do that, I guess. On request, I could post close-ups of any specific area of interest.

Edit: I figured out how to do thumbnails. You can now click to get the full sized image.