Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1438875  by GirlOnTheTrain

24 of them went...they only need 12 for service. Here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky7lB7yck4Q

They put a temporary barn up in Fresh Pond so they can do inspections and the like. Wikipedia claims there's 50 42s in service, but I'm taking that with a boulder of salt, considering it also claimed that B&D sets are maintained at 38th Street yard until edits otherwise finally stuck...considering they were made by someone qualified to work that yard and familiar with what they do there lol

I do know when I went to the transit museum's Coney Island yard tour there were a bunch being SMS'd - that was this time(ish) last year - not sure if that program is over/if more are getting that spiffying up. I don't get out on the J much /shrug
 #1438903  by railfan365

While I won't put energy into asserting that a track connection should be built between the Myrtle Avenue line and the Canarsie line because it would probably end up costing $4 billion and take 35 years to complete, I'm wondering why such a connection wasn't buuilt during original construction of those lines.
 #1440826  by trainbrain

Any updates on the status of testing? Last I heard, revenue runs were supposed to begin in November, which means it was delayed from August or September. I was under the impression that the tests were going smoothly, so I'm not sure why it was delayed.
 #1448457  by rr503

They're hot messes. Seats breaking, stanchions coming off walls, traction motors failing, headlights doing strange things... Bombardier's production problems have struck.
 #1448473  by rr503

Yeah my thought exactly.

I'm honestly worried about how this will affect the L shutdown -- will the B div have enough cars to absorb the associated service increases? And if not, what to do?

God I wish they'd picked someone else...
 #1448477  by trainbrain

Problem is they cannot keep the R32's and R42's in service forever. The R42's are supposed to be retired once the M shuttle is done, and I don't see how the R32's last until 2022 like Wikipedia says they will. They may well need to retire some or all of both fleets before the replacements are fully in service, and that would mean car shortages and service cuts. They would likely need to send the C's R160's back to East NY and run 6 car R46's on the C (like they used to do on the G) and run something else on some of the A trains to make up for it.