Railroad Forums 

• Pioneer Valley Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1409745  by lexon

I remember a number of years ago waking up and not hearing the typical clack at the diamond. I lived about a half mile away. Biked down next morning and no diamond.
Today, riding the rail trail on the old line.
I drive through Holyoke regularly and see an occasional set of different rolling stock.
Before I retired from Hazen Paper as a mechanic, I would take a lunch break at a siding behind the mill. The turnout did not have a lock on it but not used anymore.
Apparently the siding through the front is still capable of connecting to the mainline nearby. A couple times I saw the pickup truck on the rails when I arrived for second shift.

Rich
 #1433200  by Jedijk88

The last standing semaphore was removed recently due to a new track configuration on the northside of the yard in Westfield.
 #1433957  by bwparker1

Jedijk88 wrote:The last standing semaphore was removed recently due to a new track configuration on the northside of the yard in Westfield.
Any photos? Was this a Boston and Maine semaphore or New Haven?
 #1434088  by Ridgefielder

Jedijk88 wrote:This was a New Haven semaphore.
That may well have been THE last standing New Haven semaphore outside of a museum.
 #1483758  by Vakharn

Does the PVRR still run on Water Street in Holyoke? I'd love to catch them street running sometime. If so, is there any kind of regularity to it?
 #1483786  by Stp243

The PVRR does not currently run on water st. The Pan Am interchange track near S Canal St was recently rebuilt with new tracks and a new grade crossing in conjunction with the Vermonter re-route a few years back. Maybe someday soon we'll see them run down there again. I think I had heard somewhere that the bridge carrying the interchange track over the canal had structual issues...maybe someone else has more information on that?
 #1483788  by whatelyrailfan

It's the bridge over the canal that does have structural issues, don't know the status of repairs though.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1483950  by New Haven 1

I recall reading something in a newspaper that the project to repair the bridge was to begin soon, but, don't remember the specifics. In any case here is a link to the Mass DOT site from 2017 that mentions this project along with other approved rail infrastructure improvements.

https://blog.mass.gov/transportation/ma ... rtunities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1488085  by Stp243

Pan Am interchange track update: Work crews are presently (10/10/18) on site working on the bridge carrying the track over the canal. Rails are pulled and there is a good size crane on site. Looks like the connection may actually be reestablished sometime soon.