Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1446660  by ExCon90

A lively discussion has been going on in the Amtrak forum pro and con a proposed renaming of Philadelphia 30th Street, and I've been wondering about 65 Cahill St. in San Jose, formerly the SP Depot. It was renamed San Jose Diridon for a local politico who was apparently hugely instrumental in obtaining funding for that and other transportation projects, as well as being an advocate of public transportation in general, and since it's been that way for some years I'm curious about how the locals customarily refer to it. (In Philadelphia, SEPTA renamed Suburban Station as Penn Center because that was more location-specific, but everybody, including train crews, continued to call it Suburban Station, and a few years later SEPTA gave up and changed it back.) How is San Jose Diridon holding up?
 #1446666  by lensovet

There's only one train station in San Jose, so the "Diridon" qualifier isn't necessary. But I feel like I have heard "San Jose", "San Jose Diridon", and "Diridon".

Definitely haven't heard anyone call it 65th St or SP Depot.
 #1446677  by bdawe

I see it online sometimes referred to as Cahill Depot

That being said, there are multiple train stations in San Jose, just not multiple big stations. College Park, Tamien, Capitol, and Blossom Hill are all within city limits
 #1446777  by ExCon90

That's one of the things I was wondering about, since Tamien is also an important transfer point to the light rail for destinations south of town.