Railroad Forums 

• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1442546  by rr503

gregorygrice wrote:
ccutler wrote:I am wondering how much of the increased traffic is truly new, versus NYAR shifting traffic away from CSX to NS because of service issues?
No traffic has been shifted from CSX. Traffic from both CSX and NYNJ has increased. The only effect "HH" has really had on CSX service is late inbounds.
Wow so who are all these new/increased service customers? I didn't know NY&A traffic had picked up enough to support CSX interchange at increased levels along with their growing interchange business with NYNJ..
 #1443086  by freightguy

I would say P&W stone has increased to some huge totals also. All three CSX,NS, and P&W have all increased traffic to Long Island. Gershow Recycling really helped boost the totals to/from NYNJ.
 #1443115  by DogBert

Does P&W still come down there 3 days a week? In around midnight, out the next evening around 6? I've tried catching them a time or two and came up empty.
 #1443128  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:Does P&W still come down there 3 days a week? In around midnight, out the next evening around 6? I've tried catching them a time or two and came up empty.
Yup, same times. They get into Pond around 3-4am though.
 #1443612  by jtunnel

What does NY&A typically come down to work the NYNJ Interchange?

TIA

John McCluskey
 #1443613  by gregorygrice

jtunnel wrote:What does NY&A typically come down to work the NYNJ Interchange?

TIA

John McCluskey
Evenings.
 #1454389  by ccutler

Flying over Brooklyn on Wednesday, I saw a cut of about 4 gondolas in the SIMs metal recycling facility in Brooklyn, along with a long cut of about 12 gondolas in the former yard just south of there. I was pleased to see that facility up and running.
 #1464688  by ebtmikado

Nice video!

Is this the only vantage point for photos/video? How often is there street running?
A bit of a trip down from Connecticut, but, inspired by this, it seems worth it.

Lee
 #1465069  by jtunnel

Lee,

The Second Avenue overpass is the easiest location to see the operations. You can also see the arriving tug and car float from the public area on the 58th Street Pier.

Other areas are inside the Brooklyn Army Terminal, but they are located adjacent to NYPD facilities and are pretty much off limits.

Street running is along First Avenue from 58th Street to 39th Street (short section of private right of way through what's left of Bush Terminal Yard), viewable from public sidewalks

SIMS is switched as needed. Most trip leave in the morning to minimize vehicle interference along First Avenue, but they do make afternoon trips as well. Sims is next door to the Federal Detention Center at 29th Street and Second Avenue, so loitering is not encouraged.
 #1481190  by DogBert

Anybody know what's with the string of ex LIRR gons in the yard at 1st ave? The reporting markings have all been painted out. Safe to assume they're awaiting a date with the cutting torch?
 #1481198  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:Anybody know what's with the string of ex LIRR gons in the yard at 1st ave? The reporting markings have all been painted out. Safe to assume they're awaiting a date with the cutting torch?
They were brought over last year. Waiting for scrap. NYNJ was supposed to keep 2 of better ones for use as reachers.