Railroad Forums 

• Working Model of Air Brake?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1435321  by PaulM

Hi everyone

My name is Paul. I'm training to be an engineer.

Does anyone out there know of someone who builds and sells working scale models of train air brakes - particularly the 26L? I'm talking about something that would fit on a pool table, or smaller, and features at very least the system's basic operations, including a compressor, triple valve and brake. We'd love to put one in our training center.

Many thanks for any suggestions you kind folks can offer.

Paul
 #1441423  by Engineer Spike

When I was at engineer school, they had them. CCB, 30CDW, 26L, 24RL, and some variation of #6. They were on racks, with casters, ant there were also freight car brake setups too. The brake pipe had elbows so it went back and forth. This made the brake pipe about the length of an actual car. One had a longer brake pipe, so they could show the use of the vent valve, which is used on long cars, especially to propagate an emergency application.

They likely used parts from one of the shops. the piping would require a thread cutter. There are airbrake companies, which take a core part, and clean, repair, and test, similar to how you turn in a faulty alternator, and get a replacement. The core is sent away for repair.
 #1441480  by Wayside

I've never seen scale model air brake systems, but rather actual brake equipment on racks hooked up to a fixed compressor.
 #1441708  by Wayside

As a side note, Westinghouse Air Brake (or whatever they call themselves now) has a 150 car test rack of full brake equipment, all in one room, at their Wilmerding, PA facility. It's a cool thing to play with, and one can simulate everything that would happen with a real train's brake system.