Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1438491  by octr202

RenegadeMonster wrote:You would actually be surprised. As far as ridership I haven't noticed a drop off on the Eastern. At least on the trains I take.

Been on the 7:23 Express out of Salem every morning so far this week and we have been 6 and 7 car sets. And we are filling the to where there are 2 people in each seat. Only the 6 car sets saw people squeezing in middle seats.

It's odd seeing Salem Station have as many people board as you see at North Station get on the train for the Commute Home.
I'm not saying you don't still need the same size sets (# of cars per train), just don't need as many train sets to serve the Eastern Route right now. Those surplus trainsets could be broken down right now to lengthen the remaining sets on the North side.
 #1438492  by StefanW

Is it better for the equipment (coaches) to be kept moving & powered, instead of just sitting idle? That might be a reason for the long consists, instead of just parking the unneeded coaches until the drawbridge work is done.
 #1438497  by leviramsey

octr202 wrote:
RenegadeMonster wrote:You would actually be surprised. As far as ridership I haven't noticed a drop off on the Eastern. At least on the trains I take.

Been on the 7:23 Express out of Salem every morning so far this week and we have been 6 and 7 car sets. And we are filling the to where there are 2 people in each seat. Only the 6 car sets saw people squeezing in middle seats.

It's odd seeing Salem Station have as many people board as you see at North Station get on the train for the Commute Home.
I'm not saying you don't still need the same size sets (# of cars per train), just don't need as many train sets to serve the Eastern Route right now. Those surplus trainsets could be broken down right now to lengthen the remaining sets on the North side.
Right, to elaborate:

Under the old schedule, 8 sets are needed for the Eastern Route in the morning peak (counting the number of trains that are running or turning in Beverly between 8am and 8:15).
Under the current schedule, I count 6 sets being needed.

So with 2 sets no longer needed, that means 10 cars (going from the usual 5 cars per set) are freed up, which is enough to give each of the remaining Salem trains an extra car and even potentially to have most of them be 7 car sets.

We are seeing a graphic illustration of the distance-vs.-capacity tradeoff...
 #1438766  by RenegadeMonster

Is it up to the head conductor if they want to open up the whole train or block of cars if they are short staffed?

I have seen them operate with 2 conductors with all the card open on a 6 & 7 car set before. Actually more often then them blocking off a car during rush hour.

Also, I have seen a 5 car set where the conductor was all by him self. He kept making announcements to remind us of that and to please exit at the front of the train.
 #1440431  by sery2831

RenegadeMonster wrote:Is it up to the head conductor if they want to open up the whole train or block of cars if they are short staffed?
Crew of one. Head car or more as the Conductor feels they need and can safely operate.
Crew of two. Six car open.
Crew of three. All cars.

This is only at rush hour. Off peak the two cars against the loco open, and in practice just one of the two back there(normally just the double decker).
 #1440474  by RenegadeMonster

If there is only one conductor where do they usually reside?

Usually they are between the first two cars. But tonight on a 4 car set the lone conductor was between car 2 and 3 which was especially awkward because car 1 and 2 were double deckers and the mini high platforms were being hit between cars 2 and 3.
 #1440521  by RenegadeMonster

Pretty sure I have seen 3 or 4 1600 series on a 7 car set recently. Only, pretty sure a few of them had their controls deactivated.

Also, recently I saw a set with 4 300 series. Is it just me, or do you not normally see to many 300s on the North Side.

Also, did any 1300s ever exist?
 #1440525  by GaryAF

I saw an interesting consist blow through Lincoln station on the Fitchburg line, heading towards
Boston, at 9:53 am on Tuesday (Aug 8). Had a loco in the middle and one on the tail. As I recall, had 2 or 3
cars, the mid loco, another 2 or 3 cars, and the tail loco. Unfortunately, I was too far away to
get numbers, and it was gone before I realized it wasn't stopping.

I checked the schedule and it was running between trains. I'm guessing it was an equipment move.

Gary