Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1439987  by Mudvalve

chuchubob wrote:
Mudvalve wrote:I haven't seen any official service announcements from Amtrak about 29/30. I have a trip scheduled for 29 on the 5th from WAS to CHI.
Amtrak announced that 29/30 would be bustituted between Washington and Pittsburgh for the next four days in an article dated Aug 3.
Thanks bob.
 #1440018  by STrRedWolf

ohioriverrailway wrote:This due to the derailment near Hyndman??
Yep. The Cap Limited runs through Hyndman, close to Cumberland, MD.

Here's the latest posted today: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/evac ... t-49003072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In short, CSX and emergency crews are letting the propane burn off instead of trying to extinguish it and risking an reignition (and explosion). The entire town is in hotels now. It's taking a while, so buses here from Pittsburgh to Cumberland and down to Washington is best. (Edit: I put a possible rail reroute in the Cap Limited thread)
 #1440113  by STrRedWolf

Two days of trouble passed on the NEC this past Thursday/Friday:

Heavy rains caused some track issues between BWI and BAL, causing single tracking on track 1 between FOSTER and GROVE. Track 2 was opened back up again quickly but trains were backed up. (I was able to catch a late-running MARC 443 that day and got to Odenton a bit late).

Then Friday signal issues hit in the early morning, causing major delays and slowdowns around GROVE. For example, MARC 404 was 30 min late at Odenton and became an hour late into BAL. The troubles would continue with a slow order on Track 2 due to the Track 3 work in the afternoon.
 #1440155  by STrRedWolf

electricron wrote:Were the problems associated more with heavy rains (flooding), high winds (fallen trees), or both?
Could of been ether. I didn't get a chance to talk to the conductors about it -- I ended up off my regular trainsets and different crew.
 #1440405  by STrRedWolf

Fatality at Odenton, NEC is shut down between WAS/BAL. Person laid down in front of an Accella about 45 minutes of this post.

Edit 9:44a service resuming single track between GROVE and BOWIE. No trains service at Odenton. Afternoon looks to have full service.
 #1440468  by STrRedWolf

Update from earlier today. A suicidal trespasser went out to track 2 and laid down in front of Amtrak 2154, which struck and killed him, at Odenton MARC train station. I was in the coffee shop next to the station at the time, and the coffee maven there saw county police come on the northbound side, acting like there was a dead body nearby. Apparently folks on the southbound called 911 when it struck and the police are a short (2-3 minute) drive away. The stationmaster there confirmed it was a suicide, and MARC 415 held just short of the platform until police waved it by to clear it from the scene. 2154 was interviewed at BWI station, and nobody on-board was hurt.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/for_ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to have the most details I could find. I was able to suss out some more details. Unfortunately, some folks were traumatized at the sight, and one was hysterical as she went to her car.
 #1440576  by STrRedWolf

east point wrote:Is it our imagination or has there been a high count of incidents at Odenton ?
Not really. I think this is the only death at the station in ten years, and I've only had to deal with the after-effects of one derailment maybe four years ago?