Railroad Forums 

• Industrial Park on Murray Rd in E Hanover - what happened?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1419453  by carajul

What happened to the service to the industrial park on Murray Rd? Quite a network of tracks in there but the boxcar doors on the buildings are all bricked up and "tracks out of service" signs everywhere.
I recall hearing somewhere that the truckers union bosses or the mob was somehow involved in threatening the business owners to switch to trucks or get wasted, but don't know how real that story was.
Why would they wall up the doors like that?
 #1420191  by Greg

That was the old two guys warehouse and has not seen a revenue train since Novartis received a oversized load almost 15 (roughly) years ago. The M&E tried to store some cars here at one point but the locomotive derailed after the second turnout.
 #1436850  by blockline4180

sean3f wrote:If my sources are correct the line may soon see more traffic. Apparently, a pharma company along that line is stepping up production and will need carloads of sugar.
Can you disclose the source? And where exactly on the line is that company?? You are talking about Vornado Spur right?
 #1440263  by Sir Ray

If I am reading Google maps correctly, the lead to this branch is where the M&E passenger cars that were burned were stored.

The layout of the sidings seems a bit odd: the main siding seems to run along the south of Murry Rd, with three spur tracks branching off across Murry Rd. to "serve" (well, reside next to unused) their warehouses/distribution centers. The Google Streetview shows the North Westmost warehouse (Marked "Paper Mart") still had operational loading doors to the loading dock as of 2016, but again those stored passenger cars blocked access to this warehouse anyway. That warehouse's spur came directly from the lead crossing Ridgedale Ave.

There is an "Amneal Pharmaceuticals" listed on Google Maps farther to the East on Murry Rd. Novartis seems to have purchased Amneal, which made generic drugs. Is the sugar for "sugar pills", I mean placeboes? :P
 #1440332  by blockline4180

Sir Ray wrote:If I am reading Google maps correctly, the lead to this branch is where the M&E passenger cars that were burned were stored.

The layout of the sidings seems a bit odd: the main siding seems to run along the south of Murry Rd, with three spur tracks branching off across Murry Rd. to "serve" (well, reside next to unused) their warehouses/distribution centers. The Google Streetview shows the North Westmost warehouse (Marked "Paper Mart") still had operational loading doors to the loading dock as of 2016, but again those stored passenger cars blocked access to this warehouse anyway. That warehouse's spur came directly from the lead crossing Ridgedale Ave.

There is an "Amneal Pharmaceuticals" listed on Google Maps farther to the East on Murry Rd. Novartis seems to have purchased Amneal, which made generic drugs. Is the sugar for "sugar pills", I mean placeboes? :P

If and when Amneal gets cars they are suppose to be covered hoppers... How they would unload them into the warehouse is beyond me... If the cargo loading doors aren't bricked off then would it really matter??
How do you hook up a covered hopper to the facility unless there is a pipe or hose coming out of the building??
 #1440361  by Sir Ray

blockline4180 wrote:If and when Amneal gets cars they are suppose to be covered hoppers... How they would unload them into the warehouse is beyond me... If the cargo loading doors aren't bricked off then would it really matter??
How do you hook up a covered hopper to the facility unless there is a pipe or hose coming out of the building??
Pneumatic pipe unloading systems don't take up that much space, and can probably be squeezed in at the facility. Actually, looking again at the locations I think could be the facilities (the address is given at 1 Murry Rd, East Hanover...but there doesn't seem to be such a location - the marker is set to 903 Murry Rd on Google Maps), it would be very tight against the building wall for a worker to attach/unattach the piping to the hopper car - maybe they could site the unloading pipe on the street side of the tracks, and fence in an work-area for the employees to couple/uncouple - pipe would then need to go under or way over the tracks to prevent issues (Probably cheaper than moving the siding). Piping could also come from the roof, but still the clearance looks like it would be tight. And where would they construct storage silos for the product? Using the hoppers as "Storage-In-Transit" could get pricey with demurrage charges...