Railroad Forums 

• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1417127  by bostontrainguy

fogg1703 wrote:From the BDN picture it looks like the new facility is located in the former intermodal yard in the Skyway Industrial Park. Can anyone confirm.
Not knowing that area well, I checked it out on Google maps and found where you think it is located (behind the Coca-cola building?). That's an interesting spaghetti bowl of tracks around Presque Isle. Can anyone tell us about the industries that are there and if they still receive rail service?

Looks like this could have been one of those rare instances of a rail line crossing an airport runway too!
 #1417135  by fogg1703

bostontrainguy wrote:Not knowing that area well, I checked it out on Google maps and found where you think it is located (behind the Coca-cola building?). That's an interesting spaghetti bowl of tracks around Presque Isle. Can anyone tell us about the industries that are there and if they still receive rail service?
Skyway Industrial Park was created after the Presque Isle Air Force Base was moved north to Loring in the 1960's. It was all Aroostook Valley trackage up until AVR ceased to be in 1996. The AVR line came into the park near Central Dr and Edgemont Dr on its way to Parson St (still visible on Google maps). Once the AVR was abandoned the BAR built a spur east of its Long Yard to access the remaining customers in the park.
Circa 1970's-1990's the customers were as follows:
If you follow the spur from the current MNR tracks the line loops way around a runway and the first spur had Tater Meal (a potato byproduct processor) at the end. Also on that spur was an International Paper warehouse and a CMP pole yard. Only the pole yard is left.
Following the line further north were some potato or packing houses opposite the spur down to the intermodal yard where it looks like the new Dead River facility is located.
Just north is a large tank used by MPG for various products over the years. The remaining customers were Northeast Packaging, Northeast Publishing (located at the wye) and Columbia Forest Products. Only Columbia Forest Products still receive service (hardwood bolts in, plywood out).
bostontrainguy wrote:Looks like this could have been one of those rare instances of a rail line crossing an airport runway too!
No rail crosses a runway in the park.
 #1426894  by JB283

This may be to much to list but does anyone know how many industries are on the entire Maine Northern system? More importantly the names of these industries and what kind of traffic goes in and out and what kinds of cars get in/out. Thanks in advance. I know its probably alot to ask but any info is greatly appreciated.
 #1426901  by KSmitty

I'll get this started with what I know of.
Main Line:
Saint Leonard, NB:
Irving Lumber: Loads: Lumber, Logs, Woodchips.
Madawaska, ME:
Twin Rivers Paper: Loads: Paper. Unloads: Slurry, Chemicals.
Dead River: Unloads: LP.
Skerry, ME:
Irving Woodlands: Loads: Logs, Woodships.
Ashland, ME:
Irving Lumber: Loads: Lumber
Masardis, ME:
Fraser Timber: Loads: Lumber
Oakfield, ME:
Irving Woodlands: Loads: Logs (active?)

Presque Isle Cluster:
Presque Isle, ME:
Dead River: Unloads: LP.
Maybe a half dozen other customers who are nameless to me in the industrial park on the old AVR or in the downtown yard.
Easton, ME:
Huber Engineered Woods: Loads: Lumber.

Houlton Branch:
New Limerick, ME:
Louisiana Pacific: Loads: Lumber. Unloads, Chemicals (Glue?) from tanks.
Houlton, ME:
Dead River: Unloads: LP (active?)

I'm sure there are some other smaller customers in Houlton, I think Madawaska has a small lumber yard that takes cars, or has a siding anyway. Likely others too, but I'm not familiar with the area. Thats a start for the major customers anyway though.
 #1427018  by Cowford

Add a couple of likely active accounts:

PI Industrial Park - Columbia Forest Products OB veneer

I think that may be the only active rail account left in Skyway Industrial Park

Dead River at PI also receives fuel oil, no?

Easton:

McCain Foods IB veg oil
Cavendish - IB fert???
 #1427027  by fogg1703

Pretty comprehensive list thus far, I'll add a couple:
North to South

Van Buren
Former LMS lumber transload (mostly NB lumber mills transloading south)

Dead River Fuels also has terminals in Fort Kent yard and Madawaska. They have active sidings but may not use rail all of the time.

Fort Kent
Log loading (unknown shipper)

Presque Isle
Colombia Forest Products was taking inbound loads of hardwood (birch) bolts up until recently. As Cowford mentioned as of right now only active customer in Skyway Industrial Park with outbound plywoods.
Maine Potato Growers has numerous sidings in Presque Isle, the most active is the silo complex off of Fort Fairfield Rd.
Lane Construction Ballast loading for NBM and CMQ

Easton
Fairmont siding outbound oat loading (seasonal)

Mapleton
Log loading (unknown shipper)

Masardis
mill is now Maibec Lumber

Houlton
Cavendish Ag
Tate & Lyle
 #1427642  by fogg1703

JB283 wrote:Oh. Every once in a while I see Tate & Lyle shorter tank cars on some NS and CSX trains down here.
Tate & Lyle is an international company with many plants throughout North America. The Houlton location predominantly has covered hoppers on its siding, other than that I don't have any information as to inbound/outbound traffic or what products they ship/receive by rail.