Railroad Forums 

• The T and Large Events

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1433784  by Arborwayfan

Witness the suspension of fare collection on the evenings of Dec. 31 and July 4.
I thought the T went free on those two days because they are the drunkest days of the year, and they wanted to prevent drunk driving.
 #1433812  by Trinnau

RenegadeMonster wrote:It was included towards the bottom of this press release

http://mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_eve ... nth=&year=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a link in the press release to https://www.mbtasailboston.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has further information. Looks like only extra service on Saturday/Sunday, and there is a link to specific scheduled trains.
https://www.mbtasailboston.com wrote:Extra Commuter Rail Service

June 17th - June 18th: The following Commuter Rail lines will be running additional trains during the morning and evening hours:

Fitchburg Line*
Framingham/Worcester Line*
Franklin Line
Haverhill Line*
Lowell Line
Middleborough/Lakeville Line*
Newburyport/Rockport Line
Providence/Stoughton Line

*Additional service on these trains will only be available on Saturday, June 17th.

View Sail Boston additional train schedule
 #1439149  by RenegadeMonster

MBTA Running Special Soccer Train for AS Roma vs. Juventus F.C. ICC Match at Gillette Stadium on July 30

BOSTON – The MBTA has announced that it is providing special train service to the AS Roma vs. Juventus F.C. International Champions Cup (ICC) match at Gillette Stadium on Sunday, July 30, 2017.

The special soccer train is scheduled to depart South Station toward Gillette Stadium at 2:00 p.m. and will make additional stops at Back Bay at 2:05 p.m. and Dedham Corporate at 2:20 p.m. The train will depart from Gillette Stadium thirty minutes after the conclusion of the match.

Roundtrip fare is $20 and tickets can be purchased in advance at the Keolis ticket office at South Station, North Station, and Back Bay Station. Tickets are also available via the mTicket app. For customers boarding at Dedham Corporate, tickets are available for purchase on board the day-of from conductors. Customers are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance as there are a limited number of tickets available.

For more information, please visit the Trains to Gillette page.

The MBTA has added a special train run for this Soccer game.
 #1439160  by Rbts Stn

Interesting.

They haven't done them for concerts at Gillette in a few years. I'd have suspected rowdyness was the reason, but doing a train for soccer . . .
 #1439162  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I will be at the game, however not taking the train.

I think there was a train for last years Brazil vs Peru game as well. I remember leaving the parking lot and watching people walking to the train.
 #1439604  by BandA

Do they sell out the stadium for soccer like they do for real football? I imagine there is a huge interest in soccer amongst the immigrant communities, and that they are more concentrated in urban areas convenient to public transportation, compared to the football ticket holders who are more scattered around.

I would think concerts would have harder to predict demand, and if they run later in the evening connections are harder to make.
 #1439621  by Adams_Umass_Boston

There were only 30,000+ people at the Italy game this weekend. It was relatively small. Max capacity at Gillette I believe is 66,829. With that said, It looked like the ridership for the special train the T had should have been high. At the end of the game I walked over to take a look. It was a pretty large crowed getting on board.
Last edited by CRail on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Do not use the quote button in lieu of the reply button.
 #1439788  by Rbts Stn

BandA wrote:Do they sell out the stadium for soccer like they do for real football? I imagine there is a huge interest in soccer amongst the immigrant communities, and that they are more concentrated in urban areas convenient to public transportation, compared to the football ticket holders who are more scattered around.

I would think concerts would have harder to predict demand, and if they run later in the evening connections are harder to make.
Concert tix sell very quickly upon release so not too hard to predict total attendance, and I bet they have pretty good formulas on how many will want to take a train based on total folks present. They just haven't been doing them for concerts for the past many years.
 #1441230  by Rbts Stn

Looking forward to reports from today.

Hope all our friends are safe!
 #1489186  by RenegadeMonster

Because of the World Series Tonight, the last Trains out of North Station are being held until 12:45am.

Also we have Haunted happenings going on in Salem.

On Saturday and Sunday, October, 20, 21, 27 and 28 and additional 7 round trips are being added to Salem each day (7 inbound and 7 outbound).

I don't ever remember them adding more than a train or two and some extra capacity in previous years.
 #1489215  by nomis

Patriots trains are healthy, over 2000 passengers a week or two ago on the Boston based draft set.

Also, South Side trains left at 12:45 am as well for most lines ... all Old Colony lines as extra trains, and Worcester, Franklin & Providence as delayed departures.
 #1489820  by ExCon90

Regarding the comment attributed to Divya Amladi in the Globe story, I assume the T was not consulted in planning the parade on Halloween. Philadelphia had a similar experience when a victory parade was scheduled for a weekday. It stands to reason that no transport operator can be expected to have standby equipment and crews to handle substantial additional passenger loads during a weekday rush hour. Whoever decided to schedule the parade for a weekday, Halloween or not, has some things to answer for.
 #1489821  by ziggyzack1234

The T isn't at fault for once. They were getting ready for Halloween in Salem, and built the day's schedule around that. But then the Sox wanted their parade as soon as they could make it, and the T had to scramble to get enough trains out there. Weekday rush + Halloween puts the CR near (but not at) capacity at the time it was planned for. Now, add 50% a normal day's riders, and you have a system well over capacity, which by some miracle didn't break down. ExCon90, I agree, some Red Sox employee has to answer for this.