Railroad Forums 

• McIntosh & Seymour 538

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1422111  by smph50

Hi Guys!

I know I'm reaching here but would anyone be able to find the lubricating oil capacity of a M&S 538? This is the flat bottom design from military use. Every manual I've seen (S-1, S-2) only has the 539 engine capacity listed at 80 gallons with the round bottom crankcase. Nothing about the 600/660 HP 538's flat bottom used in the high hoods.

While I'm here, anyone know the voltage of the "electric compressor" motor used in the early high hood's? In late 1940, ALCO went to belt drive on the S-1's. The motor id plate was gone when we received the locomotive so I can't look there. The radiator fan motor is definitely 120vdc because we had it running with five 12v car batteries. Some manuals speak of an electric governor capable of running the CP24/CP26/CP28 240vdc/600vdc compressors.

When we started the engine last year, with all the excitement and checking for problems, we never thought to run the compressor.

https://youtu.be/JHi9mKhZqfg

Any leads where I might find this information would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Scott H. - WNYRHS
 #1422176  by Alcoman

Scott,
I have been in touch with someone who may have the information you need. I have been looking for 538 material for awhile and frankly,it like looking for hens teeth ! If I am successful in getting the information, I will be happy to pass it along to you at the WNYRyHS.
 #1437170  by Alcoman

Still working on it, but making headway. The guy who is researching this for me has TONS of material for both the 538 as well as the 539 engines....,mostly marine, but that should not be a major issue regarding the # 43.
 #1437511  by smph50

Hello John!

Thank you for your diligence! Were making progress on BC#43, got it started again last week (7/3/17) and went through 7 gallons of fuel. We tested the charging system, and the compressor, both have minor issues but we'll get them. We also have two sticky injectors that need to be looked at.

Wiring schematics would be a blessing.

Sincerely, Scott