Railroad Forums 

• Bad order repair moved from Fresh Pond to ENY (?)

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1436352  by DogBert

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2017 ... ntent=guid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The freight line will relocate its “Track 11” repair track – which runs alongside Otto Road from 67th Place to 69th Place – to a non-residential area in East New York. The track is located in the railway’s Fresh Pond Rail Yard and is currently used to fix rail cars. Repairs usually consist of hammering, drilling, welding, and includes everything from changing wheels and brake shoes, fixing mechanical problems, and repainting identifying letters and numbers.

Is this going to be north or south of the tunnel?
 #1436566  by DogBert

Yeah but NIMBYs.

Also, nimbys with money vs. the residents of East New York - though if the track will be in an otherwise industrial area, maybe it's a better fit.

I'm not sure if LIRR did repairs to freight cars here. They had that maintenance shop at Yard A. Even if LIRR didn't do repairs at fresh pond, I'd imagine NY&A has been doing so for quite some time. I recall seeing bad order cars spotted there ten years ago.
 #1436766  by freightguy

I think like mentioned the CURES people got their way. South side of the tunnel, but you guys are right a lot more industrialized down there. Heritage Paper and Gershow recycling weren't too far from the mouth of the ENY tunnel. I see the former Brenner Paper plant near Glendale trk 11 and the wye is a 24 hour gym. More high paying jobs!
 #1439014  by ConstanceR46

Hi. First time posting. Might be related, might not, but near the Livonia Yard cutoff, clearly visible from the L and presumably 3 trains, is a cut of old beat-up GERX gondolas and 9321. This could have been where they moved it? Or is 9321 just on the way out?
 #1439260  by DogBert

Hmmm... The GERX cars belong to Gershow recycling - I'm not sure if any of them are still used. They do have a siding on that stretch of track. Sounds like it might be the end of 9321. If they were going to do anything productive with it, they would have rolled it down to the locomotive shop at fresh pond (which is staying put).
 #1439951  by gregorygrice

ConstanceR46 wrote:Hi. First time posting. Might be related, might not, but near the Livonia Yard cutoff, clearly visible from the L and presumably 3 trains, is a cut of old beat-up GERX gondolas and 9321. This could have been where they moved it? Or is 9321 just on the way out?

Those are old CDEX cars, not GERX. The Heritage Paper track is used for bad order storage.