Railroad Forums 

• GLX Impact on NH Route (Lowell Line)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1433609  by Arlington

I guess the idea is that work on the GLX will be going on everywhere at once?
Last edited by CRail on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quote removed
 #1435261  by BostonUrbEx

Tufts Interlocking details: http://greenlineextension.org/documents ... 053117.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

h/t: Datadyne

Based on the schematic, Tufts appears to be permanent, otherwise why is there double track on both sides of the interlocking with crossovers both facing point and trailing point?
 #1435314  by Trinnau

BostonUrbEx wrote:Based on the schematic, Tufts appears to be permanent, otherwise why is there double track on both sides of the interlocking with crossovers both facing point and trailing point?
Correct, retiring Somerville Junction - new interlocking with 45mph crossovers on a tangent replacing an old interlocking with 30mph crossovers on a curve. Consistent with what they've done on the Fitchburg and Haverhill Lines over the last few years.
 #1435446  by BostonUrbEx

I've heard that the Somerville Jct retirement was only temporary, and that Tufts would be temporary (although this may have been a misinterpretation as the single tracking will only be temporary). At any rate, the crossovers at Somerville Jct are placed on straight track and are (or should be) good for 45 MPH. However, without changes to the ABS, neither Somerville Jct nor Tufts will ever display a Limited Speed signal coming inbound -- the best you can get for a diverging move there is Medium Approach Medium because the best you can have at Mystic Jct is Approach Slow.
 #1435469  by Trinnau

Tufts was always to replace Somerville Junction once the temporary single track ended. Why build a brand new interlocking only to retire it in favor of the older one?You are also correct the crossovers are on tangent, however I'm pretty sure they are only 30mph crossovers.

And you most certainly could display a Limited Aspect legally. Remember it's perfectly legal to display (Limited/Medium) Clear->Approach->Stop, so it is also legal to display the upgraded (Limited/Medium) Clear->Approach Slow->Slow Clear/Approach. That comes down to 2-block vs. 3-block progression and braking distance. With the current utilization of 3-block sequence though you are correct, most applications on the commuter rail network would display a Medium Approach Medium.
 #1437358  by BostonUrbEx

Not the NH Route, but the power switch at Swift from the Fitchburg Route No. 1 Track to the Brick Bottom Lead was removed yesterday, Saturday July 8th. However, about a week ago, a hand-throw electric-unlock switch was put in service further west, connecting the Paint Track to Fitchburg No. 1 Track.
 #1437656  by BostonUrbEx

Prep work had been on and off for Yard 10 reactivation, but went into full swing yesterday with actual work. The Yard 10 Lead was being cut up and removed between Mystic Jct and Inner Belt Rd, so it seems it is getting a ground-up rebuild.
 #1437736  by Stephen

Sorry, I will admit to having trouble with some of the Yard locations in that area. Coming inbound to Boston, Mystic Junction is where the NH mainline curves left to run almost directly east for the short stretch, correct? If so I thought the lead there lead to Yard 8. So, I am confused about the location of Yard 10.

Thank you for your patience and any information.

Stephen
 #1437746  by GP40MC1118

Yard 10 (and #9 for that matter) were located between what is Washington Street all the way to the current elevated New Hampshire
Route mainline. Yes, where New Washington Street, Cobblehill Apartments and the Holiday Inn towards I-93 was yards. The only
track left is the so-called Yard 10 lead, which is off the No.1 Track mainline just past the Washington St bridge that wanders
down to Innerbelt Road.

D
 #1437759  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Are they redoing the Innerbelt Rd. grade crossing as part of this? Inactive or not, that crossing is a suspension-wrecker for all the UPS trucks that go through there. And lacks so much as a crossbucks or approach warning sign let alone flashers or gates...so nobody has any warning to slow down before they bust a muffler on the potholes that've chewed up that crossing and the long-derelict siding crossing immediately adjacent.
 #1437764  by GP40MC1118

I can't imagine it won't get rebuilt plus the crossing at New Washington St/Cobblehill Road. As far
crossing protection, not sure what the plans are. Work started in earnest July 10th.

D
 #1437846  by Stephen

GP40MC1118 wrote:Yard 10 (and #9 for that matter) were located between what is Washington Street all the way to the current elevated New Hampshire
Route mainline. Yes, where New Washington Street, Cobblehill Apartments and the Holiday Inn towards I-93 was yards. The only
track left is the so-called Yard 10 lead, which is off the No.1 Track mainline just past the Washington St bridge that wanders
down to Innerbelt Road.

D
Ah, thank you, I was thinking of the other side of the mainline (that leads over towards what I think is Yard 8) so I was confused. The track you are describing ultimately crosses Inner Belt and connects to the the Wye are that is currently being used for MOW purposes (and connects on its northern leg to the old Yard 21 lead), correct?

Thank you again,
Stephen
 #1437863  by BostonUrbEx

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Are they redoing the Innerbelt Rd. grade crossing as part of this?
Yes, a track panel was already constructed for Inner Belt Rd weeks ago, and was moved the other day to the siding behind ABC Moving Supplies. That crossing will be replaced soon.

Cobble Hill Rd crossing will be removed this weekend, but not replaced until a later date. There is a drainage project along the Yard 10 Lead which will have to be completed before the track is rebuilt.