Railroad Forums 

• Speeders on the CM&Q

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1433615  by BAR

New England Rail Excursions (NEREX) is sponsoring a speeder run on the CM&Q this month. Saturday, June 17, Rockland to Wiscasset and return. Sunday, June 18 NMJ to Jackman and Monday June 19, Jackman to NMJ. Thirty-seven speeders are scheduled to participate.
 #1435459  by johnpbarlow

Speeders heading west over Onawa Viaduct on Sunday June 18.
Attachments:
CMQ Track Car Trip Onawa Trestle 061817.JPG
CMQ Track Car Trip Onawa Trestle 061817.JPG (906.08 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
 #1435473  by MEC407

Beautiful! That must have been a really fun ride.

Is there a reason why the Rockland Branch trip was only Wiscasset-Rockland rather than Brunswick-Rockland? I imagine the mileage collectors were a little disappointed by that.
 #1435500  by johnpbarlow

MEC407 wrote:Beautiful! That must have been a really fun ride.

Is there a reason why the Rockland Branch trip was only Wiscasset-Rockland rather than Brunswick-Rockland? I imagine the mileage collectors were a little disappointed by that.
The trip was very scenic, especially on the Wiscasett - Rockland segment and the Brownville Jct - Jackman stretch. As to why the MEC segment was limited to the 30ish miles between Rockland and Wiscasset, v. 50ish miles by going to Brunswick, my guess is trip organizers wanted to make sure we could set-off 35 or so vehicles and drive 90 minutes to NMJ and set-on before it got dark. Also I heard that a few years back before the Rockland line was re-built with CWR for Excursion service, a track car expedition did the Brunswick - Rockland round trip in two days, overnighting in Rockland.
 #1435600  by cjvrr

I have no affiliation with the NERCA group that ran this trip but have set up other trips in my area being a member of the national group and a certified excursion coordinator.

This was a three day trip in total.

Believe it or not on most trips, car speed averages 10mph. This is with slow orders, stops for lunch, bathroom, breakdowns, crossings, etc. On a good day you might get to 15mph average.

Seton and setoff averages between 5-10 minutes per car.

A 100-120 mile round trip in one day is about the limit you can do with speeders. Since they had to portage from one set on to another prior to the second day I am sure the decision was made to keep the first day short to accommodate everyone.

Hotel availability, set on location, parking for 35 trucks with trailers, food, etc. and many other aspects come into play.

The second / third days of the trip included an overnight at the farthest point from the set on.

310 miles total for the trip. That was a big one.
 #1435617  by MEC407

Thanks for the information, guys. :-)