Railroad Forums 

• Leased equipment MARC/NJT/AMTK

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1417144  by Silverliner II

braves wrote:Are any MARC cars still on SEPTA property & if so, how many are still with SEPTA?
Twelve cars remain leased by SEPTA at this time, running in two 6-car trainsets.

MARC IIa cab cars 7747, 7753
MARC IIb trailers 7716, 7719, 7721-7722, 7726-7728, 7730-7734, and 7792.

Amtrak has extended SEPTA's lease of two ACS-64 locomotives through February.
 #1417236  by STrRedWolf

Silverliner II wrote:
braves wrote:Are any MARC cars still on SEPTA property & if so, how many are still with SEPTA?
Twelve cars remain leased by SEPTA at this time, running in two 6-car trainsets.

MARC IIa cab cars 7747, 7753
MARC IIb trailers 7716, 7719, 7721-7722, 7726-7728, 7730-7734, and 7792.

Amtrak has extended SEPTA's lease of two ACS-64 locomotives through February.
It makes me wonder how MTA MARC will do with all that Philadelphia SEPTA Money.
 #1421806  by South Jersey Budd

Down to 1 ACS-64, 5 MARC coaches and 1 MARC cab car. Operating on the Thorndale Line. This last set is rumored to be returned in the next few weeks.

The sale of the MARC cars to SEPTA may have also fell through.
 #1421809  by STrRedWolf

South Jersey Budd wrote:Down to 1 ACS-64, 5 MARC coaches and 1 MARC cab car. Operating on the Thorndale Line. This last set is rumored to be returned in the next few weeks.

Makes me wonder where they're turning that train, or if they're serving it off the AMTRAK tracks...
 #1421822  by Silverliner II

STrRedWolf wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:Down to 1 ACS-64, 5 MARC coaches and 1 MARC cab car. Operating on the Thorndale Line. This last set is rumored to be returned in the next few weeks.

Makes me wonder where they're turning that train, or if they're serving it off the AMTRAK tracks...
Turning it? It's just operating between Frazer and Roberts Yard on the assigned Thorndale trips as it always has been, minus an occasional midday deadhead to Penn Coach for Amtrak to check out or swap out the Sprinter.
 #1422086  by Silverliner II

Seven MARC cars remain on SEPTA property, with all seven in service on trains #9526/#9561 (normal assignment) today.
The remaining cars are:
Trailer coaches: MARC IIb 7716, 7721, 7730, 7732, 7733
Cab cars: MARC IIa 7747, 7753
 #1422160  by khecht

Don't the SEPTA ACS-64 units start arriving this year or early next? As I recall, the order was for 13 to replace 8 AEM7/ALP-44 units, which suggests an order for more passenger cars is needed, but I haven't seen that. MARC cars would provide a logical stopgap for at least part of that additional capacity, whether leased or bought.
 #1422170  by ekt8750

khecht wrote:Don't the SEPTA ACS-64 units start arriving this year or early next? As I recall, the order was for 13 to replace 8 AEM7/ALP-44 units, which suggests an order for more passenger cars is needed, but I haven't seen that. MARC cars would provide a logical stopgap for at least part of that additional capacity, whether leased or bought.
The bid for the multilevels goes out this year (summer I believe). The Sprinters should be coming next year.
 #1428710  by Silverliner II

Well, the fun is over.... and SEPTA's wallet breathes a sigh of relief. :D
 #1428819  by Silverliner II

Typical railroad. Changing their minds as often as people change their underwear.
 #1428825  by NorthPennLimited

They probably need the extra equipment to help with extra train service on Thursday & Friday for the NFL Draft and Penn Relays. The combined venues are expected to draw an additional quarter million people to Philadelphia.

When you combine that number with the normal weekday ridership, there is a potential for double the normal head count taking commuter rail into the city. Anyone who rides during rush hour knows SEPTA's growing ridership over the years has put a strain on capacity during rush hour. Most trains have people standing in the isle.

As far as I know, the MARC equipment isn't PTC equipped, and can't operate on the Reading side. PTC is not required (yet) in Amtrak territory and the MARC trains could operate in extra train service to Trenton, Paoli/Thorndale, and Wilmington/Newark. A spare 7 car train might come in handy next week.

I expect there will be an insane amount of Giants and Jets fans coming to the NFL draft via Trenton.