Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA to get multi-level railroad coaches

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1426021  by glennk419

zebrasepta wrote:
glennk419 wrote:I just read NJT's Fleet Strategy report. The current MDBF ( mean distance between failures ) for the BBD multilevels is greater than 450,000 miles. That's ACTUAL miles, not a target. Does anyone know what the projected target is for the "acceptable" CRRC cars?
That's pretty hard to determine as they have not built a FRA standard railcar as of yet
I would think there would be a target in the specs.
 #1426071  by ekt8750

mcgrath618 wrote:Do we know what these'll look like yet?
Found this on SEPTA's website:

Looks nice. Hope it isn't a lemon.
 #1426076  by glennk419

ekt8750 wrote:

They appear to be full cab with exit door opposite the engineer position. Window and door arrangements are very similar to the BBD cars.
 #1426080  by ekt8750

glennk419 wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:

They appear to be full cab with exit door opposite the engineer position. Window and door arrangements are very similar to the BBD cars.
I just noticed only one set of doors is low level. I guess they don't plan to have these stop at many low level platform stops.
 #1426082  by glennk419

There are no doors at the engineer position, cab cars will have one high level door in the cab and two low level doors opposite the cab end, trailers will have traps at all four corners.
 #1426086  by mcgrath618

I think the front is a bit iffy looking but I like what the sides look like, and how they're modeled after the SLVs.
If these turn out alright I won't be too disappointed but they shouldn't say we didn't warn them
 #1426237  by NorthPennLimited

It has one illegal grab iron on the front, obstructing the MU jumper cables, but no side stirrups and 6 inch vertical or horizontal grab irons on the sides. And that side view mirror is destined to hit something in the tunnel.

Where is the horn?

I do like the fact they come with baffles surrounding the F end bulkhead door. That's Something lacking in the rest of the fleet. Those baffles should keep the rain and snow out of the vestibules in foul weather and reduce the risk of people slipping and falling in vestibules.

Are the jumper cable positions the same as the AEM-7 fleet arrangement? On these Chinese cars, the HEP cables are laid out vertically, which doesn't appear to be normal.

It's good to see illuminated side number boards. But what's up with the rectangle marker lights and tiny headlights?
 #1426240  by Silverliner II

NorthPennLimited wrote:It has one illegal grab iron on the front, obstructing the MU jumper cables, but no side stirrups and 6 inch vertical or horizontal grab irons on the sides. And that side view mirror is destined to hit something in the tunnel.

Where is the horn?

I do like the fact they come with baffles surrounding the F end bulkhead door. That's Something lacking in the rest of the fleet. Those baffles should keep the rain and snow out of the vestibules in foul weather and reduce the risk of people slipping and falling in vestibules.

Are the jumper cable positions the same as the AEM-7 fleet arrangement? On these Chinese cars, the HEP cables are laid out vertically, which doesn't appear to be normal.

It's good to see illuminated side number boards. But what's up with the rectangle marker lights and tiny headlights?
It's just conceptual. Actual results WILL vary. :)
 #1426282  by Limited-Clear

No different to the current way where the horns are out in the open and have either a cloth dust cover or a metal debris filter over them
 #1426627  by ekt8750

mcgrath618 wrote:Honestly, if they're considering a return to Bethlehem/Quakertown, it may make sense to save the Comets and use them with diesels. It'd save them a lot of money, and most of the cars have been rehashed.
The current coaches aren't going anywhere.