Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Terminal

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #259  by MR77100

I know the Illinois Terminal de-electrified in 1958, and was absorbed by the N&W in 1982. What pieces of the IT remain? I know there is still some in Decatur. How many of the IT's interurbans been preserved?
 #348  by CarterB

The Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Il has quite a collection of IT electric equipment. www.irm.com

#5241  by CarterB

Does anyone know the date that the IT was cut back from Danville to De Long? IIRC it was because of a bridge washout?

#19231  by MR77100

The IT was cut back to Delong in 1952. The cars stopped at Ogden, and turned on the wye, and ran in reverse to Delong because there was no wye in Delong. The wires were torn down in 1955, and the tracks were cut back to Urbana in April, 1961. The IT kept the tracks in place to serve a grain elevator at Delong and the MP interchange at Glover. They used trackage rights on the P&E. Did these segements of track at Delong and Glover survive until 1996, when the P&E was torn up?

#27095  by CarterB

Is there anything left of the IT trackage in/around Champaign? Anything visible at Neil St.?

#116700  by MR77100

Having been a student at U of I for the last 2 1/2 years, I can say there is nothing left of the IT in Champaign/Urbana. In 1937, the IT moved, wires and all, over the IC from IL 10 east to State St. From there, they ran on Wabash track all the way across the IC New Orleans main to the east side of Urbana. BTW, is the one track in Decatur on the south side of the NS main the old IT?

#116822  by CarterB

At Neil St. there used to be an IT station near where the P&E terminal is/was. Also they had a small yard there. Anything still visible in that area?

#121590  by MR77100

Are there any block signals still standing anywhere along the IT system?

Re:

#1425255  by CarterB

CarterB wrote:Does anyone know the date that the IT was cut back from Danville to De Long? IIRC it was because of a bridge washout?
Anyone know why IT cut back from Danville to DeLong? I had heard a bridge washout on Salt Fork Bridge?
 #1425276  by CarterB

MR77100 wrote:April, 1952 I believe.
Yes, but why the cutback?