Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#139530  by mb41

I am trying to get a feel for what members want to see or how we can get them more involved to make the place grow agian.

I am now fundraising to extend the trolley bus system at the museum, 20 poles need to be bought to extend and built two turing loops. Two Boston Flyers will soon be on there way to Maine.

Also on the restoration side, Wheeling 639 & Cleveland 1227 are gang busters in the shop. 1227 moved on her own power two weeks ago for the first time since the 1960's.

#141249  by NellsChoo

We just visited a couple of weekends ago, and enjoyed ourselves as usual. I think the best thing the Museum could do is add more track. After so many years in existance, it seems the ride should be longer. Also, it would be nice for one of the ancient buses to be fully restored. How many are, after all? It could then be used for excursions or something.

Of course, money is an issue. There just isn't enough to go around...

Jonelle

#142404  by mb41

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Are you members? I invite you to join us. If you do the program BAM (Be a motorman) $ 50.00 you operate a trolley and become a member.

The track is gotten very expensive to build, we have a real hard time just maintaining what we have for we have a scarce track crew now. The younger generations I hope will get into track and overhead. I am 28 and most of the time the youngest working on the RR here.

We have about 58 buses now. We have a 1937 yellow coach we hope to operate around the museum some day, money is the key and time.

#142417  by StevieC48

Dougie we have members younger than you working on the property and also doing track too, I used to be a Track Foreman there but my physical condition is failing.

#142424  by mb41

If you look close I wrote "Most of the time I'm the youngest" LOL

I know James helps out and this is great.

#142447  by NellsChoo

I became a member recently. I like the newsletters! If the Museum wasn't out of state, it would be interesting to help out. But what could I possibly do?? I wonder if people ask that. What can a mere mortal do to help out the museum?

#142449  by mb41

I said the same thing when I first became an active volunteer. We all find out nitches at the place. I love working on the RR, I love giving tours to the public, I enjoy working in the shop on projects, I enjoy fundraising for projects and now I'm a trustee...so over time you find more nitches and ways to help out.

#142571  by StevieC48

There is many things to do and if you dont know you would be paired off with an experienced member of the shop, operations or other depts of the museum and be taught a skill of how to operate a piece of macheniery, vehicle or tool. I started not knowing a thing but now Im well versed on getting trolleys goin once they become disabled in the field. Dougie is right he too didnt have a clue what to do 5 years ago now he is a prominent member of the track dept, fundraising for the museum and recently has become a Member Trustee. That is an example of what Seashore can do for anyone.
 #143053  by mb41

Over mckay's hill where no one can see is the beginning of a new yard.

The known bennett site is finally getting some trackage. Thanks to Dan Cohen, Bill Pollman and Fred Perry...thanks guys...way to go.

#143867  by mb41

Moxie Congress day is next Sunday July 10. Moxie is now Maine's state soft drink.

Friday August 19th, 5th annual summer reading celebration.

last weekend sept./first weekend Oct. Pumpkin Patch weekend.

Columbus day weekend is bus & trackless trolley weekend.

#144758  by Mr rt

"... The track is gotten very expensive to build, we have a real hard time just maintaining what we have for we have a scarce track crew now. The younger generations I hope will get into track and overhead. I am 28 and most of the time the youngest working on the RR here ..."

At Branford MOW Bill & I usually lead the track team.
Neither of us are 50 something anymore.

Fortunately the "mother ship", i.e. Crane W-3 now has a compressor & jack hammer and can carry the tie pulling machine. She goes out with the tool car, i.e. "Shunter". With all this hardware two can get the job done, but if a few friends join in then a lot gets done.
Sunday July 3rd we did nine ties from noon to dusk. This included a break to celebrate a couple of birthdays at a PM BBQ.

#144769  by mb41

Most of the time it is just Jim Tebbetts (60 years old) and myself (28 years old) sometimes a few others will help, but they are all over 60 also.
 #146306  by mb41

Columbus Day weekend, 2005

Many new buses at the museum, 60 buses now...wow.

Newcomers......

1974 GMC fishbowl Manchester, NH 35 footer

Flexible 1970's from New Orleans ( not arrived yet )

1936 Mack Portland, ME

Mack New Look (2) 1959
 #147404  by mb41

42 color picture booklet, some text "MBTA DMA/Trackless" $19.95

38 page booklet "Middlesex & Boston St. Ry." text & pics $ 10.95

#148802  by mb41

Crandic car # 118 is now the display car out front of the museum.

The July/August issue will have an appeal for the trackless extension, Sept/Oct. will have one for Conney Island Yard/Barn project.