Railroad Forums 

• Strong Steel Products RE 716

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1423913  by SSW9389

From LocoNotes message #29542 and Ken Ardinger: "716 has the eng block from NYC 8573-PC 9648,carbody may be from L&N 72; the RE 717 could also be the
L&N 72."

PC 9648 was an S-2. L&N 72 was an S-1.

Ed in Kentucky
 #1424021  by Allen Hazen

Going by the bottom photo, the unit has a decent paint-job with no rust spots showing through. Suggesting it has been cared for reasonably well, and might be in decent condition generally. In which case it would be a pity if it was just cut up!

As for what model it is… Not having an Alco S on a turntable to view from the camera angle shown I can't be sure, but it LOOKS as if the radiator is the short one used on S1/S3, not the longer one on S2/S4: somebody with a better eye than mine, or a photo collection that includes some taken from this angle, could confirm or refute this. The basic engine BLOCK is pretty much the same, and de-turbo-ing an S2's engine before reinstalling it in an S1 shouldn't have been beyond the abilities of Relco's shop.
 #1424025  by Allen Hazen

Further evidence that, whatever the engine inside it, the visible carbody is an S1.
An S2 has eight doors along the (left) side of th hood between the cab and the radiator, an S1 with its shorter radiator has nine. I count nine in the photo.