Railroad Forums 

• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1422945  by DanD3815

Major derailment in Newburgh just south of the Newburgh waterfront by the global facility. Lead locomotive is across the main road, lots of overturned rail cars. Expect the river line to be out of commission for a little while. Assuming they detour to nysw
 #1422952  by Jeff Smith

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/freight-train ... y/1789215/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NEW WINDSOR, Orange County (WABC) -- A freight train derailed in New Windsor Tuesday afternoon, with the locomotive ending up across a roadway.

The CSX train, traveling from Selkirk, New York, to Waycross, Georgia, came off the tracks on Water Street around 3:30 p.m.

Two injuries were reported, but their extent is unknown.

Orange County sources says there are approximately 17 rail cars off the tracks, and electrical lines are down across them.

HazMat has been requested to the scene, as the train engine is reportedly leaking diesel fuel.

CSX confirmed that the train was transporting hazardous materials, but said there are no reports of any leaks or spills at this time.
 #1422964  by airman00

My father and I happened to drive past the river line today thru Harrington Park around 3-3:30 or so (give or take) and there was a train coming down the tracks. It appeared to be coming from the direction of Haworth heading towards Harrington Park. So CSX must've cleaned up the derailment fast.
 #1422965  by DanD3815

I saw the track geometry train heading south through the highland area today too (prior to the derailment). This is right around where the line goes to double track for the passing siding at the CP in Cornwall
 #1422992  by Noel Weaver

airman00 wrote:My father and I happened to drive past the river line today thru Harrington Park around 3-3:30 or so (give or take) and there was a train coming down the tracks. It appeared to be coming from the direction of Haworth heading towards Harrington Park. So CSX must've cleaned up the derailment fast.
If you read the article provided in the link it happened around 3:30 PM, most likely after you saw the NB at Harrington Park. If it is not too hot a train they might park it somewhere until they get the railroad back.
Noel Weaver
 #1423025  by rhallock

A bit of irony since RJ Corman used to have a wreck cleanup crew based about 1/4 mile from the wreck location. The pulled out years ago because there wasn't enough demand for their services. Preliminary reports are that some non rail workers fouled the track with a backhoe or crane of some sort.
 #1423128  by CPSK

There is currently (as of 17:00 on Wed March 8) a mixed train sitting in Teaneck. I was running at Votee Park when I observed the train pull up towards CP10 and stop. I just figured that he was waiting on one or more southbounds. Maybe that is the case. Did they get the track opened up yet?
I learned of the derailment from, of all sources, UPS. I am supposed to receive a package UPS ground tomorrow, but got an e-mail telling me that it will be delayed due to a train derailment.
The package is coming from Earth City MO. I guess it's on a train from there to SK, then to Secaucus. I never suspected that the derailment was so close to home.

I am currently listening to CSX River sub on my scanner, but haven't heard anything for the past 1/2 hour, and this is the first time I have had the radio on since Monday.
 #1423135  by DanD3815

There is also a stack train sitting in catskill waiting to go south. As of this afternoon the locomotives are back on the rail and the remaining cars that were not damaged have been moved back up north. Damaged cars still remain and the track in that section has been destroyed and will need to be rebuilt.
 #1423139  by CPSK

I would be interested in seeing the locomotives that derailed - where do you think they will be going?

The northbound train sitting in Teaneck has auto racks (probably empties) and garbage cars (also empties), so I guess that's not a hot train.
I'm curious to know whether trains have been rerouted. I would think that UPS trains, and probably the oil trains as well. Lots of ways to get from here to there via rail...
 #1423144  by AMK0123

As of now (1930 hours), listening to the scanner, there is a engine pulling more cars up from the scene. Engine is CSX 4076 (SD40-3). Came out of the old Roseton power plant siding at CP63 and headed down to grab more cars. Train is still symboled as Q-409-07. They are advising that they are going to be bringing more cars to Roseton siding and then bringing the power back down the main and tying down on the main just north of Newburgh Industrial track and getting a cab home. I believe there is a regulator and some other MOW equipment waiting to south.
 #1423228  by AMK0123

Seems that the section of track is now been repaired. Running a northbound I-163 and then a southbound Q-004 that is waiting in Milton...
 #1423277  by AMK0123

Rockingham Racer wrote:What's an I-163 please?
I assume it's an alternate schedule, (kinda like an L prefix) to the Q-163 (Newark to Chicago Intermodal).
From what I heard that was the first northbound through, followed by southbounds Q-009, K-408, Q-433, K-702, L-162, Q-010, Q-008, Q-389 and L-004.
 #1423285  by CPSK

Rockingham Racer wrote:What's an I-163 please?
I was wondering the same thing. Could I be the new designator for Intermodal? Just a guess.

So I guess the line is open for business again. I heard trains going through Teaneck already last night, and more today.
My UPS package that had been delayed on its rail journey from Earth City MO through St. Louis, and I assume Selkirk NY to Secaucus NJ, had already arrived in Secaucus by 6AM this morning. So, one of those trains I heard in Teaneck during the night was the Intermodal that carries UPS trailers.
i have seen those trains consisting of UPS TOFC's, and stacks, but I haven't seen any dedicated UPS trains on the Riverline for a long time - maybe not since Conrail.

Just now, as I am writing this, I am listening to the NI dispatcher talking to someone up in Haverstraw about a fire that apparently fouled the line somewhere between CP33 and CP38 for a while this afternoon / evening. Probably brush fires. Red or yellow flag warning was up today due to gusty winds and low humidity.