Railroad Forums 

• Would this ticketing be a problem?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1419233  by ajl1239

If I bought a one-way ticket from OSB to WAS, but instead -- I'm not sure where I will be on the day of travel -- got on at NYP and just went NYP to WAS, would I have a problem?
 #1419237  by DutchRailnut

Ok lets translate, take SLE/Metro North to NY city , then take Amtrak NYP to Washington .
 #1419240  by Greg Moore

If you're saying, "if I buy my ticket in advance, can I get on a different station, further down the line?"

then no... not without changing your ticket. Amtrak can and generally will cancel a ticket if it's not scanned shortly after the time you were supposed to be boarded.
This way they can sell the "open" seat to someone else.
 #1419243  by Rockingham Racer

Greg Moore wrote:If you're saying, "if I buy my ticket in advance, can I get on a different station, further down the line?"

then no... not without changing your ticket. Amtrak can and generally will cancel a ticket if it's not scanned shortly after the time you were supposed to be boarded.
That sounds logical, but I'm wondering how the conductor finds out that the person holding ticket X that was supposed to board at station Y did not actually board. And then, just how does s/he cancel the ticket.
 #1419245  by Philly Amtrak Fan

ajl1239 wrote:If I bought a one-way ticket from OSB to WAS, but instead -- I'm not sure where I will be on the day of travel -- got on at NYP and just went NYP to WAS, would I have a problem?
Where's OSB?
 #1419247  by Greg Moore

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:If you're saying, "if I buy my ticket in advance, can I get on a different station, further down the line?"

That sounds logical, but I'm wondering how the conductor finds out that the person holding ticket X that was supposed to board at station Y did not actually board. And then, just how does s/he cancel the ticket.
Right after Old Saybrook for example (the station in question here) the Conductor goes through and scans all new tickets. When she's done walking the length of the train, I presume there's a "all tickets lifted" button or the like for that station. She'll press that and the computer back home will update and validate all lifted tickets and invalidate any ticket not lifted.

It's all automated.
 #1419248  by Railjunkie

The conductor has nothing to do with the canceling the ticket. They scan the tickets into the device by bar code res number or I believe they can look it up by name. Once they finish the sweep they have to tell the device they are done with that particular stop. So if you want to board somewhere else further down the line you ought best have a ticket for that new station. Your old reservation may be null and void.
 #1419264  by bratkinson

If you discover you won't be boarding as expected at Old Saybrook, it's quite easy to change your ticket online or by phone. I've had a number of changes of plan and had to change the 'return' time/train to a later departure. Did it online without a hitch. As you are riding a shorter distance on the NEC, you'll either get a partial refund or voucher for the difference...your choice.

Edit: if you miss your scheduled boarding time at OSB, your ticket has ZERO refund value! You have to change it BEFORE train time!
 #1419317  by westernfalls

I wish this all-reserved folly on regular Northeast Corridor trains would just go away.
It's such a waste of everybody's time for the sake of squeezing the last dime out of last-minute travellers.
 #1419323  by jamesinclair

Greg Moore wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:

Right after Old Saybrook for example (the station in question here) the Conductor goes through and scans all new tickets. When she's done walking the length of the train, I presume there's a "all tickets lifted" button or the like for that station. She'll press that and the computer back home will update and validate all lifted tickets and invalidate any ticket not lifted.

It's all automated.
I dont think this happens.

I recently went Metropark to DC.

Boarded at Metropark near the back - packed train.

By the time I found a good seat in the first car we were entering Trenton.

After Trenton boarded, no one checked tickets in my car, presumably because they didnt see anyone get on.

My ticket was finally scanned after departing 30th.

You just cant give away a seat in this kind of scenario.
 #1419361  by Greg Moore

It's not a guarantee that it will happen, but it does.

Note, as you even admitted, no one had lifted your ticket until you departed 30th. Hence there was no opportunity for the computers to invalidate any tickets in that case.

But it does happen.
 #1419455  by Jehochman

westernfalls wrote:I wish this all-reserved folly on regular Northeast Corridor trains would just go away.
It's such a waste of everybody's time for the sake of squeezing the last dime out of last-minute travellers.
The reserved trains work quite well. It's very easy to make any adjustments, and you are guaranteed a seat. Many of the trains sell out and this system does a great job matching seats with butts.

If you want to make a last minute change, just call and they will help you. If you are running for the train and don't have time to buy a ticket you can call after you get aboard. This is not the recommended method but I've done it and seen others too.