Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am GE DASH 8 Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1411307  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:Well yeah. Why would they lease locomotives that wouldn't be this case?
I wasn't sure if perhaps they were buying some units that they would repair and refurbish themselves and then gradually place them into pool service. The "straight from GE" also made me wonder if that was a reference to a lessor and not necessarily to a shop. Didn't want to get my hopes up! :-D

That is great news all around for the whole system. This is obviously going to put Pan Am in a better position on many of their trains to and from Maine.
 #1411321  by KSmitty

gokeefe wrote:"20" (not 12?) ... wow ... I believe that would make this the biggest single power acquisition by Pan Am since the 1980's?
No.
500-519, came painted and rtr in the last months of 2000.
300-321, 343-349 from Conrail in 1995/11 followed two months later by 350-355.
I think you could lump the 600-619 in as well, as they could have purchased 20 KCS units, but Helm had a huge surplus and made them a sweetheart deal on the last 10. Technically 2 sales spread over 4 months, but it was basically all one acquisition.
 #1411350  by MEC407

Brian4449 wrote:According to news released by Kevin Burkholder, Pan Am Railways will be getting 20 ex-CSX C40-8s from GE. They will be painted in PAR paint and based out of East Deerfield, Mass.
He also said they were coming from Lordstown, Ohio, which is where Larry's (LTEX) has a major facility. It doesn't sound like they've been to Erie or Fort Worth (GE's two shops), which frankly are far too busy building new locomotives to be mucking around with these units anyway. If GE is involved, they are contracting out the work. I suspect GE's involvement is primarily on the financial side.

I also highly doubt that they're being rebuilt or overhauled. Sure, they'll most likely repair things that are broken and give them fresh blue cards, but overhauls and rebuilds take time and cost close to $1 million per unit these days.
 #1412461  by ericofmaine

Random question: Given the past B&M / GTI / Pan AM practice of disabling dynamic brakes in their locos, have any of the "new" units purchased had theirs disabled as well? What about lease units, would the leasor require that they maintain the units as they were delivered? I remember reading somewhere on here that when the NS units started showing up in earnest that NS brought in a simulator to teach the PAR crews, anongst other things, the use of dynamics.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric