Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1407411  by Fan Railer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLpPx9Alj4Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
READ FIRST:
On my second try today, 11/1/16, I was able to grab the remaining clips I wished to get of the R179 track testing in the Rockaways. Here is the full compilation of video of the test train I have from both dates, 10/28 and 11/1.

First, we have the shots of the train moving, which provide good sample sound for the propulsion. Basically, the pitch changes follow the same profile as the R160B Siemens sets, but the actual sound itself is of a different type.

Next we have the set walkdown @ Broad Channel. And interesting thing to note is that one truck in the set, the number 2 end truck of 3010, is a trailer truck (unpowered). All other trucks are motorized. Whether this is purely an instrumental testing truck, or if this feature will be part of the order remains to be seen. LoL at the employee joking about dropping the window and telling buffs to stop filming =P

And finally, we have clips of the test train actually on the test track, shot from other A trains passing the test track area. Enjoy the action, and stay tuned for clips from system-wide clearance testing which is to happen soon, hopefully =)
 #1408835  by B&M 1227

3019 waiting on the east end or the GW bridge. Are all these being trucked in? No rail shipments over NYA?
 #1410153  by tommyboy6181

Does anyone have a datasheet on the new R179 trains, similar to what is out there for the R160 on the nycsubway.org site?
 #1410849  by dieciduej

If I had to take a guess, by the locations of the tape at the corners, midsection and protuberances, a poor man's way of doing clearance tests.

JoeD
 #1411463  by queensdee223

Those were my two guesses, Joe and Cat. I'd imagine for the cost of these cars, they could afford tarps to protect them from scratches in shipping. Are the system clearances well-understood enough that the clearance tests are basically "sanity" checks, or have rolling stock had clearance issues?