Railroad Forums 

• Reading Steam Power Car Rd #92100

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1409246  by baileyjet2000

I need some help with this subject. My good friend John Scala several years ago sent me a picture of this car at Morris Park. What I would like to know are the dates that it was in service on the LIRR. In addition I thought I had seen a picture of it painted in the gray scheme with a modernization #, can anyone verify this. Last but not least does anyone have a picture of it in the gray scheme?

Bethlehem Car works makes this car in in its Original Reading baggage configureration and it should be easy to convert to the steam power version.

Thanks for your help with this project.

Ray in RSW
 #1409498  by C-LINER 2001

Hello Bailyjet2000, It's not totality what your looking for, but here what looks like the ex-Reading Steam Car I took this photo in Richmond Hill coach yard over by the Trainmen dug out, the scene is from Dec 1970, a nice thing about the car when I photo shop it, I notice steam over the roof !!.
Attachments:
img023.jpg
img023.jpg (137.83 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
 #1409609  by Backshophoss

Most likely parked on a unused siding in a yard,connected to the steam piping buried in the yard,and plumbed to a water source
to heat passenger cars laid up,keeping the onboard water systems from freezing.
May have 2 steam generators installed.
Used at times as a track washer,the steam,sprayed under pressure to remove debris from the rails/trackbed,
connected to at least 4-5 tank cars of water.
 #1409618  by DutchRailnut

it shows steam connector to ground piping
 #1409842  by BuddR32

nyandw wrote:I wonder what the text above Do not Hump indicates?
DO NOT HUMP: refers to yard moves. There are hump yards, where the cars are pushed up over a hump, then coast down through pre-aligned switches through the yard to the appropriate track. LI had a few hump yards, and many railroads still use them.
 #1409843  by BuddR32

I wonder if this car is still in the Morris Park boneyard. There is a very similar looking car among the remaining antiques down there, but I've never looked at it closely. I just thought it a plain baggage car.