Railroad Forums 

• Favourite car type

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

What's your favourite subway car?

Rohr 1000 #1
38%
Breda 2000 #2
6%
Breda 3000 #3
8%
Breda 4000 #4
11%
CAF-IND 5000 #5
37%
 #17945  by Head-end View

Hey Rob: A little far from home aren't we? Chuckle! Are you lost? The D.C. Metro cars are all almost identical. Hard to tell one class from another. Though I do remember some have seating in the vestibule area & some don't. Don't remember if I saw the 5000's yet on last trip there a year ago.

But they sure have good top speeds don't they?! Ha, ha! Wonder if CSX Conductor ever rode THIS subway system......... :D

#18870  by Robert Paniagua

Hey Rob: A little far from home aren't we? Chuckle! Are you lost? The D.C. Metro cars are all almost identical. Hard to tell one class from another. Though I do remember some have seating in the vestibule area & some don't. Don't remember if I saw the 5000's yet on last trip there a year ago.

Well, I can tell somehow what kind of car it is, but by their sound. First, the Rohr 1000 has this same sound like the MBTA 01800s when they pull in to a station and leave a station. And those that pull in to a station without a one tone hum are the 2000s. But the 3000 and 4000 editions have the same high pitch whistle sound (different than the 1000s) when they pull into a station and pull out of a station. And as for the 5000's they make this new-era sound when the pull into a station and so on. Also the brown paint is a little shade darker than their older counterparts so I can easily tell a CAF-IND 5000 apart from the other.

Last time I went there was in 2003, but I didn't get any CAF-IND 5000s, even though I got a few the trip befoure.

Yeah I think that CSX Conductour would like this system, its a whole heck of a lot faster than the T, that's for sure.

FYI this year, I went to Toronto, where they have the T-1, the newest coaches in the fleet.

#78854  by starionwolf

The new, shiny and quite cars are my favorite. I don't know what kind they are. Sorry!

#140693  by arrow

The new ones are nice but I've always been partial to that "vintage" look in everything, including trains. I am a fan of 1970s design so my choice would be the originals.

#140987  by octr202

I'm getting frustrated by those cars. I take it that the Orange Line is pretty much the domain of the old 1000 series cars? Since its usually the only line I ride, I haven't been able to even try out the new cars on one of my trips.

#141884  by Robert Paniagua

They are literally the same from looking at the outside of them (paint scheme). Only if you look inside you will know the difference (plus the road numbers).

Also, the 1s (Rohr) were started on and are still mostly running on the Red Line.

#172493  by octr202

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:are there any pictures that i can see of these cars?
world.nycsubway.org has an exnetsive Washington Metro Page.

But, if you're used to the MBTA, you'll learn one thing fast...Metro cars are VERY similiar, especially on the exterior. :wink:

#228267  by davinp

Another good site with pictures of the differnent Metro car types are
http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpdccars/dchome.htm

Also, the 2000 & 3000 Series are being rehabilated by Alstrom. The New 6000 Series are also being built by Alstrom.

#228924  by Sand Box John

As some may know tomorrow is metrorail’s 30th anniversary. John is going to spent most of Monday March 27th 2006 riding metrorail taking pictures with his new Nikon D70s. Link to images will be posted.

#229439  by Robert Paniagua

Sand Box John wrote:As some may know tomorrow is metrorail’s 30th anniversary. John is going to spent most of Monday March 27th 2006 riding metrorail taking pictures with his new Nikon D70s. Link to images will be posted.
Yeap, and I just started a thread of the 30th Anniversary so that everyone can discuss WMATA's 30th anniversary of operations.

#230293  by Tritransit Area

Hmm, i see that there isnt a place for the Breda Rehabs - those are my favorites, followed by the other 3000/4000s.