Railroad Forums 

• Ferrocarril Central Andino

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1370779  by Benny

Fresh fresh!
Today I was in the Agustino district (a so refined place that can surely defined a disaster) and, crossing the railroad, I saw three lights in a triangle. Do you want to avoid blocking the car and taking a a shot to the 1024 with the sulphuric acid train? Nooo.
Taken with the phone and with a bad light but I don't dislike it.
D115r 1024 con treno di cisterne in transito all'Agustino.jpg
D115r 1024 con treno di cisterne in transito all'Agustino.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
Ciao :wink:
 #1370991  by philipmartin

I say that you have a good phone, I think it is a good picture. The triangle of lights is what you see on approaching trains in the US these days. The Agustino district looks ok from what I can see in the photo. Just keep the sulfuric acid cars on the rails!
 #1382714  by Benny

Approx. 2 am. I was returning home and at the av. Gambetta crossing I saw lights in a siding. Immediatly 539, an EMD G22 CW, came out returning to the patio central long nose forward and I took an image with the phone. Nothing special because I needed to be quick, not only because of the loco movement but also because the area, during night, is hot. But at this time too there is good movement.
D120 Notturna 539 Gambetta.jpg
D120 Notturna 539 Gambetta.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 3500 times

Take it as a postcard, it's not a masterpiece.

#1382767  by philipmartin

Lima at 2am. Friends, ragazze, in the foreground?
I'm not familiar with the EMD G22 CWs, so I did a little Googling. Here's a photo of one in Sri Lanka.
 #1382774  by Benny

philipmartin wrote:Lima at 2am. Friends, ragazze, in the foreground?
Yes, in the neighborhood there are various bidonvilles and huts with people moving around at every time.
 #1382775  by NorthWest

Benny, what you caught was not a perfect photo, but one with atmosphere. It tells a story. Thanks for risking your safety to get this for us, although it looks rather busy there for 2 AM. Also good to see one of the G22CWs still out and about.

Phillip, EMD export nomenclature is different from domestic nomenclature in that it is based off of mechanical equipment and not a set production model. EMD built very different locomotives with the same designation as a result. Because they licensed production to overseas producers there is even more variety. The Sri Lankan unit was built by Henschel and is one of the strangest of the breed. I don't know where the G22CWs for Peru were built. Most likely are EMD, GMD or Valleres in Brazil.
 #1382817  by Benny

In effect the Sri Lanka loco cab looks different from the Peru one.
Very interesting your explanation, thanks.
I will try to know where this loco has been built.

#1383630  by Benny

If I correctly understand 539 has been built in 1991 by Valleres in Brazil under license of EMD Spain for Centromin, an ancestor of FCCA. Sister loco 538, now dumped at Tornamesa, was built in 1976 by an unspecified builder.

#1383670  by NorthWest

Benny wrote:If I correctly understand 539 has been built in 1991 by Valleres in Brazil under license of EMD Spain for Centromin, an ancestor of FCCA. Sister loco 538, now dumped at Tornamesa, was built in 1976 by an unspecified builder.

Thanks!
 #1383773  by Benny

philipmartin wrote:Here's another look at the Sri Lankan EMD G22 CW #790.
This loco is completely different from the Perù one

#1394733  by Benny

Just a little note: last night I passed near Santa Clara station, between Lima and Chosica, and saw a good number of hoppers, apparently in service, marked Canadian National (I cannot photograph them).

#1394794  by philipmartin

That Canadian National really gets around. I thought it was going far afield when it reached south of the border and gobbled up the Illinois Central; but all the way to Peru. That is far afield. :wink:
 #1405529  by Benny

An horrible photo, made with the phone during drive and against the light. I post it only to show something and revive the topic.

SD 40-2 1023 pulling a mixed freight uphill from the port to Chosica shooted in av. Meiggs in Callao.
D121 1023 transitando en Av. Meiggs Callao.jpg
D121 1023 transitando en Av. Meiggs Callao.jpg (104.68 KiB) Viewed 2655 times